Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey, so my boyfriend and I are looking into the possibility of living together next year for uni. So I go to university in Manchester, and my boyfriend is at uni in Birmingham. We know plenty of people who actually commute from either city daily, and although we wouldn't like to travel that far, we've been briefly looking into cities between us (about 30-45 minutes journey each way - the train stations are right next to our universities, and the tickets are cheap, too) where we could live then travel each day.
    We understand that prices might add up, but we are looking within areas such as Stafford and have found a few very affordable areas which would allow us to afford travel.
    My questions are - if you are from Stafford, is this a good idea? What would your advice be for two people who don't particularly know the area?
    My second question is aimed at people who have experience with this or something similar - how doable is this idea? How is it for you?
    Thanks for your time!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdenHall)
    Hey, so my boyfriend and I are looking into the possibility of living together next year for uni. So I go to university in Manchester, and my boyfriend is at uni in Birmingham. We know plenty of people who actually commute from either city daily, and although we wouldn't like to travel that far, we've been briefly looking into cities between us (about 30-45 minutes journey each way - the train stations are right next to our universities, and the tickets are cheap, too) where we could live then travel each day.
    We understand that prices might add up, but we are looking within areas such as Stafford and have found a few very affordable areas which would allow us to afford travel.
    My questions are - if you are from Stafford, is this a good idea? What would your advice be for two people who don't particularly know the area?
    My second question is aimed at people who have experience with this or something similar - how doable is this idea? How is it for you?
    Thanks for your time!
    Sorry to break it to you, but Stafford is definitely not half way between Manchester and Birmingham.

To get to Birmingham University from Stafford (by train), it would take 1 hour. (+ getting to Stafford Train station from home)
    To get to Manchester University from Stafford (by train), it would take 1 hour 20 minutes. (+ getting to Stafford Train station from home)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AshEntropy)
    Sorry to break it to you, but Stafford is definitely not half way between Manchester and Birmingham.

To get to Birmingham University from Stafford (by train), it would take 1 hour.
    To get to Manchester University from Stafford (by train), it would take 1 hour 20 minutes.
    I don't know what subjects both of you are doing, but if you are going into university more than twice a week - that will destroy both of you.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what subjects both of you are doing, but if you are going into university more than twice a week - that will destroy both of you.
    Alright no that's cool, it's just an option we're considering so I need to know the truth of it so first off thanks for replying! We have backups, like people we can live with in Birmingham and Manchester on our own, it was just to see if it was possible for us since obviously, in an ideal world, we'd live together, but we know that's going to be very difficult. We don't know anything about that area, we're just trying to weigh our options.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EdenHall)
    Alright no that's cool, it's just an option we're considering so I need to know the truth of it so first off thanks for replying! We have backups, like people we can live with in Birmingham and Manchester on our own, it was just to see if it was possible for us since obviously, in an ideal world, we'd live together, but we know that's going to be very difficult. We don't know anything about that area, we're just trying to weigh our options.
    Doesn't your university let you live in the halls of residence for all 3 years?

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't your university let you live in the halls of residence for all 3 years?
    They try making you live away from halls and live independently. I mean, I guess if you explain that you've struggled to find elsewhere/don't want to move away then you could live there, but they try to avoid you doing so as much as possible. Just weighing out our options at this stage, want to start thinking about it sooner rather than later so that we're not rushed into doing anything we don't want to.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.