Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, my names Elizabeth and I am currently in my final year of studies at Middlesex studying BA Criminology. I will also be the Course Ambassador for this year for:
    BA Criminology
    BA Criminology with foundation year
    BA Criminology (criminal justice)
    BA Criminology (criminal justice) with foundation year
    BA Criminology (Policing)
    BA Criminology (Policing) with foundation year
    BA Criminology (Youth Justice)
    BA Criminology (Youth Justice) with foundation year
    BA Criminology With Psychology

I will be available to answer any questions about the Middlesex Criminology courses or the university in general especially if you are looking for responses from a current students perspective.

Elizabeth
    Middlesex Course Ambassador
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Here are some general questions with answers. If you have any other questions other than those I will answer, please do not hesitate to ask

How does teaching take place?
    Teaching mainly takes place in lecture theatres in big groups. Other than that, the group is split into seminar groups which take place in various buildings such as the College building and the Williams building.

Are there any exams in the degree?
    In the first and second year there are no exams and it is all completely based on essays and presentations. However, in the third year, dependent on which module you choose you may have an exam.

Should I choose Middlesex to study Criminology? YES! Other than having the amazing support from staff, there is an amazing library filled with nearly all the books you will need to complete your academic studies. The social life is also great as we are close to the heart of London meaning there will also be tonnes of time for exploring!

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

This week has been a crazy week even though it has been reading week. Reading week is like a blessing in disguise as not only does it allow you to go at your own pace with everything for a week but it also allows you to get on top of your work and work ahead of yourself. These opportunities are great for University life as you can do as much (or as little) as you like- although doing as much would probably be wiser Whilst studying it's also essential to give yourself breaks and do fun things that you like to keep you sane- Bake a cake! Watch a movie! Do anything you can to please your mind! This weeks interesting read is "We real cool: Black men and masculinity" by Bell Hooks- tune in next week to find out how it goes!

Hope everyone has a lovely weekend

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello!

This week has been filled with university work and exploring London!

As part of my Forensic Mental Health module, I went to see the Bedlem exhibition at the Wellcome Trust... If interested AT ALL in Mental health I would defo recommend taking a trip to explore the exhibition. It is a real eye opener into asylums and mental health institutions! If you get the chance do pop over as it isn't far (It's in Euston)!

Other than exploring, I continued filling my mind with 'We Real Cool' which I spoke about last week. So far so good and I would say it is a good, controversial read.

Hope you have had a good week & hope you are ready for the week ahead

If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

It's been a hectic week filled with uni essays and readings but it has definitely also been enjoyable.

This week as part of my Drugs & Crime module we had to find songs that were about drugs and apply theoretical understandings to it. The song I ended up analysing was "Because I got high" by Afroman- I suggest you listen to it for a feel on drugs and maybe even see if you can put your theoretical hat on..

This week we also had an open day at the uni which was a great opportunity to visit the uni and get a feel for how student life is there- if you missed out on the event and have any questions about criminology or the uni itself please do not hesitate to ask

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

It's been such a good week and as we head towards the final weeks of this year, the anticipation grows knowing that we are practically half way through the academic year! Scary and thrilling all at the same time!

Major revision/study tip I have tried to stick to this week is to take enough breaks to keep my brain refreshed and fueled but to also not get too carried away to the point where it becomes procrastination as there is a fine line between the both.

This week during my Forensic mental health module we looked at how mental health is portrayed in the media and looked at articles online about mental health and crime. This was my favourite part of the week as it was a chance to compare how different media outlets speak on mental health.

Hopefully everyone is starting to get into the Christmas spirit! If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

This week has been a tough week filled with deadline preparations BUT knowing it will all be worth it makes it worth while.

It has been difficult to stay social this week due to deadlines but for the first time ever during my academic studies I utilised the library for it's 24 hour service and did an all nighter! I can honestly say it isn't as bad as it first seems. When it first daunted on me that I would be doing an all nighter I felt quite anxious and worried that I would eventually fall asleep but as the night progressed and I was mid-flow in criminological thoughts I realised I had worried over nothing. I would definitely recommend trying it at least once during your academic studies as the silent floors in the library are blissfully silent!

Hopefully I won't be doing another one any time soon as it does take some readjusting after!

If you have any questions to ask about Criminology or the uni or just general questions please do not hesitate to ask.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

As the end of the term has FINALLY arrived, it leaves a bittersweet taste. The end of one term means one step closer to graduation! Although it is Christmas holidays, we must remember that there is still work to be done and we can not loose our focus.

This week, as term came to an end, it was essential to take out books that will be useful over the Christmas break and to complete any print outs that may be needed. It has been a tough term but it is over now and I'm almost ready for the next (after New Years of course!!!)

Hopefully you have all managed to wrap up this term looking forward to the next! If you have any questions over the holidays please do not hesitate to ask.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

Hope you are enjoying your holidays so far!

As a third year student, the holidays aren't really holidays as it's filled with essay planning and getting organised before going back to university! Although it's only a short term sacrifice it will be for long term gains!

Hopefully you are all getting the chance to enjoy your holidays and making the most of a break!

Happy Holidays 😊

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Happy New Year!

A new year is a perfect opportunity for new goals for the academic year. This week I have been focusing a lot on upcoming presentations and doing some background reading for my dissertation.
    Although it is a season to celebrate it is also a season to stay focused and not get lost. Next week I will be looking more specifically at doing some essays for the upcoming term as you can never be too prepared when it comes to studying!

If you have any questions about anything at all please do not hesitate to ask!

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,

This week has been a very progressive week. In preparation for a group presentation, I did some research into drugs and prisons. Whilst doing this, it was interesting to find that the drugs problem is not only a problem in this country within prisons but also in other countries. I came across a current article on the BBC which was very useful. (The article can be found here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/38529320?client=safari)

Researching for my modules has proved to be very informative and educational. Hopefully this article sparks an interest with some of you.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Hope you're having a good week..
    This week has been super busy for me being the first week back from Christmas holidays. I have been reading up on the riots that happened in 2011 as I am preparing a short 5 minute presentation on a journal article in relation to this topic. There was a documentary at the end of last year on BBCiplayer called "Lawful Killing" which went deep into the Mark Duggan shooting which was one of the explanations as to why the riots occurred. It is definitely a good watch if you have the time. Other than academic work I have been trying to not get frozen! I hope you all manage to stay safe in these weather conditions.

If you have any questions at all please do not hesitate to ask

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Hi Elizabeth

Been offered a place on the criminology (policing) course with foundation year, just wanted to ask how Middlesex can help me one day become a police officer, and its overall links with the force.

Calum

ReputationRep:
    Hello Calum,

Congratulations on your offer!

The course you have chosen will definitely prepare you to work in that field by equipping you academically and giving you all the knowledge you need.
    Luckily, Middlesex has a great Employability team that help you enhance your CV and look for work. They are able to help you with securing a work placement or even permanent work for after uni. This is definitely one of the great advantages with Middlesex and I am sure they would be able to help you pursue a career in the police force.

Good luck,
    Elizabeth

ReputationRep:
    Hello all,
    This week has been tremendously busy as it's getting closer to crunch time so the hard work has been turned up notch.

I am currently reading about rehabilitation of prisoners and enjoying researching into this field.

If you have any questions or also find this topic interesting, please do not hesitate to ask me questions.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    you say that you love this course and the possibilities that it gives you! well then why were you unable to give a definitive answer on your dream job? the answer you provided was very smart in its own way as you answered the question yet you did not at the same time. why did you do that?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vistaman1999)
    you say that you love this course and the possibilities that it gives you! well then why were you unable to give a definitive answer on your dream job? the answer you provided was very smart in its own way as you answered the question yet you did not at the same time. why did you do that?
    Hello,

I am sorry you feel that way. Criminology is a Course that offers many job opportunities so it would be hard to select one specific avenue when all avenues are very rewarding.

I hope this answer helps.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

ReputationRep:
    Im not feeling bad about it in any way, i was Just curious, you have yet again managed to answer a question without answering it! Im looking forward to meeting you in MDX it will be a very entertaining Day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vistaman1999)
    Im not feeling bad about it in any way, i was Just curious, you have yet again managed to answer a question without answering it! Im looking forward to meeting you in MDX it will be a very entertaining Day

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

Hope you are all doing well and keeping warm in this weather!

This week has raced past me as there was so much to do! I had a group meeting for a presentation I am due to present in March for my Drugs and crime module. For this module, we have to do a group presentation on an aspect of drugs, of which we are doing: Drugs and prisons. I am super excited for this presentation as this topic really interests me.

Also this week, T2: Trainspotting came out in cinemas!!! For my first assessment for drugs and crime we had to watch Trainspotting (the first one) and select a paradigm (sociological or psychological) that best described drugs use in the film. Due to studying the first film and analysing it, I was really excited to go out and see the second part 20 years after the first one was released!!!!! If you haven't already managed to see it, I would definitely recommend it to you. If you do watch it I would love to hear your thoughts on it.

Finally, this week we held our VIP offer holder event. It was a great chance to meet some of you and talk about a subject that I love (Criminology). If you haven't been able to see the university yet there are still opportunities to come and our next open day is on the 11th of February. Hopefully I will see you there if I haven't already met you.

If you have any questions to ask, please feel free to contact me.

Elizabeth
    Criminology

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.