Turn on thread page Beta

Electric in room heating vs gas boiler heating. watch

ReputationRep:
    So basically everything I'm reading online is telling me that using an electric in room heater to heat one room will cost more than using our gas boiler, but here is my predicament, our boiler is very very old and so ineffective that we can't even run our shower at full power without the water going stone cold, which makes me doubt it's ability to heat the house.

And the initial heating is the part that consumes the most energy to the best of my knowledge, so basically I just need some guidance on whether it would still be better to use the gas boiler or just run a 500W heater for short bursts throughout the day.

Our housemate is also proposing that all we would need to do is run the gas for an hour in the morning and an hour in the evening, but given that the boiler cant even heat our shower sufficiently I'd assume that running it for that hour isn't going to do a great deal?

ReputationRep:
    Electricity is generally the most expensive way to heat a room. Take a fan heater - they're usually rated at 3kW at full power, so cost about 45p per hour to run. You get a lot more bang for your buck using gas - but if the boiler is really crap its efficiencies aren't going to be so great. You could still use the boiler for general background heat and use an electric heater for spot heating in case it gets very cold in the room you're in. Have you run the boiler to see if the radiators get hot properly?

ReputationRep:
    Hey
    Have you tried turning off all radiators in the other rooms except for the lounge? Where is your thermostat? If it's not in the lounge then the boiler is going to run for longer than is necessary. A wireless thermostat would do the trick. Just move the thermostat into the lounge during the day and move it back to another cooler room when the family gets home and turn on the radiators. You can get programmable TRV's but they do cost a fair bit for the convenience of having to turn the radiators on/off manually.

Electric heating does work out very expensive in my experience. I have had not working gas central heating for quite some time, several years, and it has cost me slightly more heating single rooms via electric to a much colder temperature than it cost me to heat the whole house using gas. However due to fuel price rises, maybe the comparison is unfair. I have felt far colder heating via electric based upon what it has cost me. Halogen makes no difference, it's no more efficient. I would say that a convector heater is about the most efficient form of electric heating. However I would still avoid electric if at all possible because in my experience it is far more costly to heat using it.

Do you have your central heating pipes insulated? If not then quite a bit of heat is lost as the water travels to the radiators. It can be difficult to insulate because heating engineers rarely pay any attention to insulation. The person who fitted mine, before I purchased my home, made a right lousy job of fitting pipework, making insulation extremely difficult without re-fitting pipes.

ReputationRep:
    I guess, it depends on the sizes of a heated room. I'm not a big expert, but for me electric heating is very expensive. If I were you, I would address professionals. It is possible to find a HVAC company that can give you a good piece of advice. Personally I had experience with ServiceWhale https://servicewhale.com/services/hvac-service. This firm offers a wide range of services and provided me with all necessary information about heating. At least, you will know what kind of heating is better for you.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: May 1, 2018
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.