Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Anyone been through the process?
    What kind of questions do they ask?
    Are they purely academic or do they also ask a lot of general questions (like why do you want to study chemistry?, why Oxford?, what do you want to do in the future? etc)
    Also, how could you prepare for them?
    Thanks.
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I've applied for Chemistry so
    They are mostly academic but they will start off asking about you, your interests, your personal statement. All part of the calming down stage
    Not sure
    Subbing just in case

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CheeseIsVeg)
    I've applied for Chemistry so
    They are mostly academic but they will start off asking about you, your interests, your personal statement. All part of the calming down stage
    Not sure
    Subbing just in case
    Have you started preparing for them?

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827822

This thread will probably be useful to you guys! Do have a read through (obviously not all 90ish pages but do a search)
    Is there a specific college you're applying for? Interviews will differ by college, but generally you'll have between 2-4 interviews for chemistry and they'll be based purely on academic questions. They may ask questions like why chem, or why Oxford but as Cheeseisveg said, it's just to calm you down. They won't judge you on these answers.
    They base the questions on AS stuff normally, maybe picking out a topic you particularly liked from your personal statement, and then build on these by introducing you to scenarios, or topics you will not have encountered before. They like to see how you think rather than how much you can regurgitate so talk through your thought process and how you arrive at your answer. They won't care if it's wrong so don't be scared of just talking or backtracking :P It's designed to get harder and harder, so you'll stay on the topic until you can't answer anymore questions, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you're struggling with a question You'll be surprised how quick the interviews feel!

They may split the interviews into maths/physical chem and inorganic/organic or you may have three interviews (for each branch). And it's likely you'll have interviews at other colleges too. I think they're designed to last 20-30 minutes; all of this depends on college so you'll get more specific advice when you're invited for interviews
    The only prep I would say is, be on guard you've read/done everything on your PS. They may well bring it up in the interview- one of my interview questions was literally picked out of my PS and it went into detail Also revise basic AS stuff and don't try to learn A-level material.

Good luck!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by ntada99)
    Have you started preparing for them?
    Sorry - didn't get a notif for this :erm:
    But no, not really! I had one session ages ago now - but since then, I've been engrossed in work
    Have you?
    (Original post by Poooky)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=827822

This thread will probably be useful to you guys! Do have a read through (obviously not all 90ish pages but do a search)
    Is there a specific college you're applying for? Interviews will differ by college, but generally you'll have between 2-4 interviews for chemistry and they'll be based purely on academic questions. They may ask questions like why chem, or why Oxford but as Cheeseisveg said, it's just to calm you down. They won't judge you on these answers.
    They base the questions on AS stuff normally, maybe picking out a topic you particularly liked from your personal statement, and then build on these by introducing you to scenarios, or topics you will not have encountered before. They like to see how you think rather than how much you can regurgitate so talk through your thought process and how you arrive at your answer. They won't care if it's wrong so don't be scared of just talking or backtracking :P It's designed to get harder and harder, so you'll stay on the topic until you can't answer anymore questions, so don't be afraid to ask for help if you're struggling with a question You'll be surprised how quick the interviews feel!

They may split the interviews into maths/physical chem and inorganic/organic or you may have three interviews (for each branch). And it's likely you'll have interviews at other colleges too. I think they're designed to last 20-30 minutes; all of this depends on college so you'll get more specific advice when you're invited for interviews
    The only prep I would say is, be on guard you've read/done everything on your PS. They may well bring it up in the interview- one of my interview questions was literally picked out of my PS and it went into detail Also revise basic AS stuff and don't try to learn A-level material.

Good luck!
    :yy: Very helpful, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Anyone been through the process?
    What kind of questions do they ask?
    Are they purely academic or do they also ask a lot of general questions (like why do you want to study chemistry?, why Oxford?, what do you want to do in the future? etc)
    Also, how could you prepare for them?
    Thanks.
    In my experience the interviews were 100% academic, I had a couple. One with some DPhil students who basically asked a few questions about simple chemistry of a few elements.

The main interview was with all 3 main tutors at my college, they each interviewed me for 10-15 minutes on their respective areas (organic, inorganic and physical) although the interviews and their format differ from college to college.

The tutors will almost definitely test out your maths ability because calculus plays a big part in all physical sciences so make sure you know what you're doing in terms of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    In my experience the interviews were 100% academic, I had a couple. One with some DPhil students who basically asked a few questions about simple chemistry of a few elements.

The main interview was with all 3 main tutors at my college, they each interviewed me for 10-15 minutes on their respective areas (organic, inorganic and physical) although the interviews and their format differ from college to college.

The tutors will almost definitely test out your maths ability because calculus plays a big part in all physical sciences so make sure you know what you're doing in terms of that.
    Thank you
    Also, how did you prepare for them?

ReputationRep:
    Thank you
    Also, how did you prepare for them?
    I just went over AS and A2 material I'd been taught and reread bits of some of the books I mentioned on my personal statement. Made sure I was quite solid on the organic mechanisms and stuff like that. I had a mock interview too which was quite helpful, and interviews at bristol and ICL before Oxford so those helped a bit too

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.