Turn on thread page Beta

Depression/anxiety and careers advice watch

So I'm in my second year at uni, but I'm 21 and should have graduated last year. I have dropped out twice because of mental health problems. I have reached crisis point multiple time. I have never really done anything about careers other than a bit of volunteering last year. I am terrified about what will happen after graduation.

I want to see a careers adviser about my options. But I am so nervous. I feel so pathetic because of my crap CV and because I'm think I'll start crying during the appointment. I don't want to spring that on some poor careers adviser but at the same time I really need help. Should I just email them and explain the situation? I really don't know what to say or do. I'm getting quite desperate at this point though.

Sorry to hear Graduating later is not that unusual TBH loads of people take multiple gap years. And most of the people I know had zero work experience not even volunteering when they left uni.

Do they have a contact us page? You could ask to be in contact via email. You can also email places outside your uni if you Google it I think places like Prospects still offer email advice.

I would also see your GP about your MH problems if they can help, good luck :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So I'm in my second year at uni, but I'm 21 and should have graduated last year. I have dropped out twice because of mental health problems. I have reached crisis point multiple time. I have never really done anything about careers other than a bit of volunteering last year. I am terrified about what will happen after graduation.

I want to see a careers adviser about my options. But I am so nervous. I feel so pathetic because of my crap CV and because I'm think I'll start crying during the appointment. I don't want to spring that on some poor careers adviser but at the same time I really need help. Should I just email them and explain the situation? I really don't know what to say or do. I'm getting quite desperate at this point though.
    Most people finish their degree with a limited CV other than their academic achievements so don't worry too much about your lack of experience to date.
    A careers advisor should be able to help you with ideas for how to improve your employability as well as explore options open to you.
    Given the problems you have had I think it would be useful to email them with a summary so they have the full picture and can tailor their advice accordingly.
    You earned your place at Uni and far from pathetic you have shown strength and perseverance to work through your health problems. Make the appointment and good luck in finding a career that you enjoy.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.