The Student Room Group

Never hungry, is it normal?

Hi
For 3/4 years now (most drastically within the last year) I have completely lost my appetite. I dont eat breakfast, go to college, dont eat lunch and only eat at dinner. Then i dont eat again from 5pm (drinking water throughout the day). This has been an ongoing cycle for a while now and im just really wondering if its normal? Does anyone else experience this?

Is this even safe? Im consuming no more than 500 calories a day, im a 17 year old 5'8 girl. Its not that i am consciously not eating, it is just i never feel the need to or feel nauseous and therefore dont eat
4 times that is average for a girl, I would imagine 500cals a day is quite non-typical.
If you're going to eat once a day try and make sure it's a big meal.
Original post by definitelyjuliet
Hi
For 3/4 years now (most drastically within the last year) I have completely lost my appetite. I dont eat breakfast, go to college, dont eat lunch and only eat at dinner. Then i dont eat again from 5pm (drinking water throughout the day). This has been an ongoing cycle for a while now and im just really wondering if its normal? Does anyone else experience this?

Is this even safe? Im consuming no more than 500 calories a day, im a 17 year old 5'8 girl. Its not that i am consciously not eating, it is just i never feel the need to or feel nauseous and therefore dont eat

Whats your height and weight. If you are eating 500 cals a day that is unhealthy. Not enough. Go and see your GP and get checked out. You may have an ongoing medical condition.
I wouldn't consider it exactly okay to eat that much every day, and it definitely isn't too healthy not to eat enough. You need food for bodily function, etc, but if you don't feel like eating then cramming yourself full of it isn't exactly too great either. For a few years I never really ate too much, and I often would just end up going to school, having perhaps a biscuit or half a sandwich, perhaps a drink, then that would be it for the day. From being quite a large child I went to being quite a skinny teenager, and I still am quite skinny to some degree.

If it is a considerable amount of nausea, it may come from not eating anything, but that is only an idea. You may feel lightheaded from not eating enough, and that does sometimes still happen to me even though I've picked up on my diet (a little). If I were you, I would definitely try to eat a little bit more, perhaps some light snacks throughout the day or a light supper before going to bed. Heck, people say breakfast is the most important of the day (I don't buy it) but you could try having a little fruit bar or perhaps an apple in the morning!
Reply 4
i used to be like this but then at some point my appetite just came back lol idk what it was - i'd eat like a cheese sandwich and be fine for the whole day
it didn't last 3-4 years tho :eek: i think like 3 months max
i think it was stress - i still get nauseous when i try to eat breakfast (i always have) but by 11 i'd be starving :lol:

I remember i went to the docs for it once but they just told me i should try to eat more... tho since it's been so long for you i suggest you go to the GP and ask about it
Currently going through the exact same thing! (lol) I only have dinner and I never feel hungry, I could probably eat nothing for days and not get hungry, which sucks considering I love food and I always had appetite. I had been the exact same weight since I was around 13 and this year I ended up weighing as much as I did when I was 12. I don't know what caused this.
Reply 6
I'm the same as far as only having one meal a day goes, I can't stomach food in the morning and can't be asked and am not really bothered about lunch at uni but I do then go back home and have like a massive bowl of pasta for dinner and that'll do me. This is kind of how I've been since around year 9 if I remember correctly. I'm not opposed to it, and as a uni student it does save me money so it does have its perks :tongue:
Reply 7
The same thing is happening to me to a certain degree... I don't get hungry anymore. I'm a big girl, I'm 5'8 ft tall and I weight 218lbs and I'm almost 20 years old. I know it sounds a lot, but I don't look like I weigh that much. The other day my cousin and my brother made a comment on how I NEED to lose weight. I said yes because I know I need to, but I hated the fact that they had the right to comment on my size and tell me what I should do with it. And since then I lost my appetite, that same night I didn't even have dinner. I haven't had dinner in 3 days, I have breakfast and lunch because I force myself to eat. I don't even enjoy it anymore. I used to be a big foodie who enjoyed what I ate... Now even stuff that I used to like taste bland and I just can't do it. I really hope that I end up losing as much weight as y'all did : )
Original post by RitikaB
The same thing is happening to me to a certain degree... I don't get hungry anymore. I'm a big girl, I'm 5'8 ft tall and I weight 218lbs and I'm almost 20 years old. I know it sounds a lot, but I don't look like I weigh that much. The other day my cousin and my brother made a comment on how I NEED to lose weight. I said yes because I know I need to, but I hated the fact that they had the right to comment on my size and tell me what I should do with it. And since then I lost my appetite, that same night I didn't even have dinner. I haven't had dinner in 3 days, I have breakfast and lunch because I force myself to eat. I don't even enjoy it anymore. I used to be a big foodie who enjoyed what I ate... Now even stuff that I used to like taste bland and I just can't do it. I really hope that I end up losing as much weight as y'all did : )

Starving yourself is not a good way to lose weight, it is really bad for your health.

You should consider speaking to your GP about your issues.
funny i eat alot and not fat is juts bum and thighs thay get bigger yesterday i eat five hotdogs fried chicken and some fries. weird right
Been there. I speak from experience tho, they’re ********s and if you like food, go for it. If you want to lose weight, just find a hobby or something. I lost my appetite for about three days when someone made a comment about me eating too much, but then I decided to do whatever I wanted, got my appetite back and started ice skating. Much better than starving! Reply, yeah? I want to know you’re alright.

Quick Reply

Latest