Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I got my AS results and got 3 As and a B (history). I'm happy with a B but it was one mark off of an A (239 marks, 240=A). A few people have said I should get it re-marked as it might take it up to an A, and even if they mark it down, it will still be a B grade. It's AQA History if that makes a difference (deadlines/costs). Is it worth it, or shall I just stick with the B that I'm content with? Does it look a bit greedy going for another A?!

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    definately don't bother wasting your money, i was in exactly the same position last year (2 marks an A in AQA history) so i can shred some light. I wanted to get a remark as well, my teacher said i could if i really wanted - but it wasn't worth it. That's because, at A2, if you're gonna get an A, you'll probably get more than 1 mark into an A .. i.e, that 1 UMS you want now won't matter next year (probably). Hey, my teacher was right, i just worked harder last year and nailed the exams.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think you were marked unfairly? Did you feel you deserve more than a B? If so then I'd reccomend you get a photocopy of the scripts that you feel you deserved more marks in .. go through it with your teacher and if he/she feels that you deserved more marks then I'd go for a re-mark But there is a chance it could go down remember.

Either that or you could re-sit a module or you could just leave it at a very high B

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advice! I wasn't expecting a B (I always have a completely real but slightly irrational fear that I have failed everything) and was pleasantly surprised with it! It's just annoying being just one mark off or 4 As, even though that's quite petty I know. Would I have to get all the scripts back for all modules (even course essays) and decide if I thought I'd been unfairly marked, or can I just say I want to be re-marked and they do them all? How much does it cost? I'm tempted to leave it as it is, but everyone (not teachers, granted) have said I should have it re-marked.. will ask my teachers to see what they think!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Because its AS i would say no - just work your socks off next year and if your 2 marks on average higher, your likely to get an A... SO the moral is work hard, your really close to an A, so i think with extra work at A2, you could gain that A next year. Congratulations!

I'm not sure about the getting scripts back and then requesting a remark business...best ask your tutors.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I could deal with the stress of it all again - I've struggled with history this year and don't know how I got a B to be honest. It would be my luck to get bad questions and come out of it with a C, so I think I'm better just concentrating on next years work without having to worry about last years too. Thanks for the advice anyway, will see what my tutors think about it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    thats what i would do - work hard at A2, and if you perform well, you never know you might get an A.

ReputationRep:
    I am in exactly the same position (3A's, and 239/300 in AQA History). Thanks for the advice everyone, I'd still like to know if you HAVE to get photocopied scripts before you remark (in which case I need to order it now), or if you can get a remark straight away.

I haven't spoken to my teachers yet, doing that tomorrow. All the other people in my year, however, encourage me to get a remark, but as it's AS I don't know if it's really worth it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    you can get a remark straight away,

Because its history you probably have a chance - but then again it is AS - were your predicted grade an A, and were you getting A's in practice papers?

ReputationRep:
    I'd say it's definitely worth getting a remark - even if u dont resit the paper, and can make up the few marks in ur 3 A2 modules, a lot of universities (eg LSE econ i hear) have screening processes that get rid of anyone with a B (happened to a friend who got 239 in Spanish AS)...So I reckon it's worth it for the UCAS form

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.