Turn on thread page Beta

Don't want anyone to see me without makeup/Ugly watch

hey, i live in a flat and i can't tolerate the idea of them (or anyone except close family) seeing me w/o makeup. however, i don't like having to keep wearing makeup and it's much harder to start not wearing it bcos they've never seen me w/o it.

my skin is terrible: acne, scarring, redness, dullness... it's genuinely really upsetting.

PLEASE COULD YOU SHARE ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET CLEARER SKIN/SKIN ROUTINE THAT WORKED FOR YOU?

although i have a lot of imperfections, my skin is the worst and i think if my skin improved i'd more likely try and see if i can go bare faced for a day...

sorry it's a lot
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Go and see your GP then get referred to a dermatologist. Is your diet good or eating lots of junk?

ReputationRep:
    More peas/vegetables/chicken/peanuts and less milk and flour.

This on it's own has made acne pretty much non-existent for me for a number of years.
    I discovered this during polarizing diets.

ReputationRep:
    i have scars all over my face and uneven skin tones from constant picking. its like a constant need to pick.
    i never wear make up unless its for a special occasion but i dont care what people think.
    by drawing the attention to it, your just making it worse for yourself
    if anything, wearing make up constantly will make your skin **** :/

ReputationRep:
    Bad skin ===> Wearing makeup

Wearing makeup ===> Bad skin
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    This probably isn't the answer that you want but I think the issue lies more with how you view yourself than the actual condition of your skin. What you view as imperfections may mean nothing to other people. Yeah acne and scarring sucks but it's also natural. I'm no expert but in many cases adding more chemicals (in this case make up) usually does more harm than good. Attempts to clear up acne often result in more acne for example.

Odds are no matter how bad you think it is other people won't be judging you as much as you think. I've seen plenty of people with mild and severe forms of acne. I've never once thought "Oh god, this person needs to wear more makeup, they look disgusting and should cover it up, etc". If anything you are probably more concerned about it than your flatmates.

Rather than just outright droping your makeup, do it in stages. People are far less likely to notice if you slowly make the change. Put a little less on each day for as long as you feel comfortable. Doesn't matter if it takes weeks or months until you're comfortable without makeup on. Do it slowly at a pace that suits you.

As far as trying to clear your skin goes, try to avoid chemicals, soaps, scrubs and so on. Stick to water with very mild products and no more than twice a day. Treat your face as if it is very fragile, lightly dab and rub. Also consider your diet. Could you food be affecting how much your face glows for example?

On top of all that take a photo everyday. Take photos with and without makeup. If you can see the progress you're making you'll feel motivated to carry on.

Nobody should be made to feel like they're being judged for how they look. I'm sure that you like great whether you have makeup on or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shawtyb)
    i have scars all over my face and uneven skin tones from constant picking. its like a constant need to pick.
    i never wear make up unless its for a special occasion but i dont care what people think.
    by drawing the attention to it, your just making it worse for yourself
    if anything, wearing make up constantly will make your skin **** :/
    i bet your really pretty dont let anything get you down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle12345+6)
    i bet your really pretty dont let anything get you down
    i dont dw lol

ReputationRep:
    i dont dw lol
    I'm here 4 you if you need anyone to talk 2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kyle12345+6)
    I'm here 4 you if you need anyone to talk 2
    thanks but theres nothing bothering me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
    Bad skin ===> Wearing makeup

Wearing makeup ===> Bad skin
    Oh that definitely explains why men get bad skin, too
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    hey, i live in a flat and i can't tolerate the idea of them (or anyone except close family) seeing me w/o makeup. however, i don't like having to keep wearing makeup and it's much harder to start not wearing it bcos they've never seen me w/o it.

my skin is terrible: acne, scarring, redness, dullness... it's genuinely really upsetting.

PLEASE COULD YOU SHARE ANY TIPS ON HOW TO GET CLEARER SKIN/SKIN ROUTINE THAT WORKED FOR YOU?

although i have a lot of imperfections, my skin is the worst and i think if my skin improved i'd more likely try and see if i can go bare faced for a day...

sorry it's a lot
    Always wear a bb cream (one of the korean ones, they're better) until you get it treated (see a private dermatologist). It will hide all the blemishes, while actually helping to improve/moisturize your skin.

ReputationRep:
    thanks but theres nothing bothering me

ReputationRep:
    Jesus, i mean look at the state of you. Now imagine what all the men who have bad acne have to go through, they ain't going to be using no makeup. You're just too insecure and let me tell you something having constant makeup on your face is not going to make it better, only worse. Just try and go outside once without makeup, let your pores get some fresh air. You will get used to it.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.