Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Heellooo everyone!!

My name is Ruben and I'm on my third year the BA Film course at Middlesex!

I'm also the Course Ambassador for the Film, Visual Effects and Gaming Courses, and I'm here to welcome any questions you have regarding the courses or the Media department.I'll try to answer every question as soon as possible!
    All the Best

Ruben Duarte
    Middlesex Course Ambassador Film, Visual Effects and Games

ReputationRep:
    What are the requirements for the courses?
    Spoiler:
    Show

You will need at least 280 Ucas points then we will ask for a Portfolio which should include:
    An essay (750-1000words), of which you are the sole author, on any topic in the arts and humanities, or a work of film criticism.

ONE of the following additional items:
    A Film or film extract (not more than five minutes), in which your production role is clearly evident (eg, directing, editing, cinematography, etc.)
    A storyboard consisting of no more than 15 images
    A short script or extract of a script (not more than 5 pages), or a prose scenario for a short film.

What areas will the course cover?
    Spoiler:
    Show

The course specializes in turning students into filmmakers and scriptwriters, with practical skills and theoretical understanding of film,every single student during the first few months of teaching will have the chance to try different positions on set, from lights, sound, directing, producing,editing, as well as the steps that it takes to create and develop a story into a script. Teaching goes from drama to documentary working on campaign,advertising and even being able to dip your feet into a more experimental field of films.

Will I have many exams?
    Spoiler:
    Show

(Un)fortunately there are no exams during the entire three years of the course.. How sad...

Is there enough time to work a part time?
    Spoiler:
    Show

We will be at theuniversity a maximum of 20 hours a week, most of the students manage to get apart-time on the side.

What equipment/facilities do you use?
    Spoiler:
    Show

The media courses are based in the Grove building; this is abrand new building with modern state of art facilities, while on the courses weare able to access a big array of rooms and equipment, such as the Soundrecording Studio, Avid Suits, Da Vinci Resolve for colour grading, we have 4editing suits fully equipped with mac’s and editing programs, motion capturestudios, just to say some. In terms of equipment, we start to get used tocameras with a simple JVC 100, Cannon 5D, 7D, Blackmagic, there is evenconversations about having a red cam soon!

Is the teaching practical or more theory based?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Both the Film and Tv courses are really practical in terms ofwork I would say about 70% will be practical work, the other 30% will involvesmall assignments, creating a story, and some essays. While we believe that we want a filmmaker who knowshow to do things we also want someone who understands what goes into a film andwhy doing something in a certain way, wewill teach too see through the lenses of the camera instead of just pointingthe camera at something.

Are there chances to study abroad?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Yes, we had students who went and made their second year in another university,it’s a really enriching experience and we do encourage our students to do it.

What kind of extra-curricular activities are there at the university?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Wehave a really active Student Union, where student life (and fun) is heavily promoted;they run about 70 societies, from Manga, Tea and Cookies to the Debate or JournalismSocieties the chances of finding someone who enjoys the same things as you arepretty high. We also have the Sports team if your inclined towards the physical side of it!

Checkfor societies: http://www.mdxsu.com/groups?parent_l...s-menu-wrapper

Checkfor Sports Teams: http://www.mdx.ac.uk/life-at-middles...rt/team-sports

What happens to the films we make during the three years?
    Spoiler:
    Show

Eachyear the final projects are screened at The Roxy. The best graduate productions each year are screened at a venue in London. Last year the Ba Film and Television courses had our films being screened at the BFI. Two years ago, thequality of the films were so high that the university sent them to filmfestivals and they ended up being selected to make part of a special screeningin the 2 ANNA’S Film Festival in Riga.

Who can I contact to talk about the course if I have any doubts?
    Spoiler:
    Show

You can always contact the Course Leader.

Mr.David Heinemann on [email protected]
    Or just leave me a message!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

Reading week came upon us, and I took the chance to work on a couple projects, so that you know, I'm producing 3 films for my final dissertation project.

A recreation of a murder to be used in the Criminology course, we're doing an instruction documentary like of how to approach a crime scene and the mistakes that are usually committed by the FOA (First officer attending) and how to avoid them, hopefully will be something more educational.
    Spent.

A Drama about the internal conflict one is put through when, at night, you are the reason of a car crashing off the road, knowing well that your alcohol level is way above the limit. Would you go back to help? Or would you follow on your way?

And finally another drama about what life is like on a professional kitchen, when we follow the day of a first timer who lacks the experience.

Having this kind of weeks off is really useful to advance on your work and I tried to make the most of it. Had meetings with all of my directors and we're finalising the scripts!

Wait for more news about my week next Sunday!

CUT!!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This was a reaaally long and busy week for me!
    Besides my normal classes on Tuesday I stayed around to watch a lecture on Criminology, as part of my final year dissertation project, recreation of a crime scene, I felt like I needed some extra work to be done and attending those lectures is a good research method!

Wednesday was a Sports day, we had a Volleyball game against Brighton at 1h30pm, so (un)fortunately I had to miss my morning classes as it is a 3 hours ride there! So saaaddd..... We ended up losing 3 sets but believe me when i tell you that Brighton is beautiful! If you have the chance to make a weekend there while you are studying please do! Your not going to regret it!

Friday I had a big event going on the university, it was entrepreneurship day so we invited 15 of our Local Schools and did a small activity were we made sure that, not only they would have fun, but also would help them to develop some sort of entrepreneur views and understand that thinking outside the box is not always a bad thing!

This Sunday I helped one of our Dance students in on of her assignments, we were shooting for a good part of the day a choreography that she came up with. The piece was beautiful and it was really fun to work with all of them.

Name:  IMG_8263.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  501.0 KB

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This week was rather fun and chilled. Placed a couple of my practical projects on hold as some essays are starting to get close! In one of our modules we need to come to an understanding on what do we want to do after we finish our studies, how to market ourselves, how to succeed as filmmakers, etc... And then we need to convert it into a form of an essay. Telling what are going to be our next step after graduating. As someone who is looking into following the pathway of a producer I started to question myself what's after and what would I do when I graduate and I'm now writing it as in form of an essay question!

" What is the career path of a recent graduate aspiring to be a producer working in a London based production company while being deployed abroad! "

On another more fun side this last Saturday we had our Open Day! I'm going to leave you with a rather unusual video of me, as I usually am WAAAYYYYYYY more comfortable behind a camera, of me and Valentina the Marketing course ambassador, doing a small campus tour!

If you have missed it have a look at the video and book for the next open day to see it live!

https://www.facebook.com/MiddlesexUn...4081407864562/

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This week was completely dedicated to working on our theory modules. I'm finalizing my final proposal for my dissertation project, and I'm picking up a couple more projects one the way. As I said I like to keep myself busy!! I'll leave more information as soon as I confirm them! Next thursday we will be doing some test shoots on location and I'll leave you a couple pictures here!

This week I'm going to speak a little bit about something I do after classes! I told you before I'm on the Middlesex Volleyball team.

This week we had a complicate game against the number one on the table Royal Holloway. While the game was going really well for us and we managed to secure the first two sets, we ended up losing the third one, and our captain ended up giving us a "small lecture" to makes us focus on the game!
    Spoiler:
    Show

I'm the "fluffy" 13

Name:  IMG-20161130-WA0004.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  224.4 KB

Probably it worked really well, we ended winning the game 3-1. and are now on top of the table with the same number of points has them. The result of our little talk was this beauty that I'm posting right under! Have a taste of what we are like!

This is all for this week! See you next Sunday!

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

Hope everyone enjoyed some well deserved holidays and took enough time to rest! I for once took a complete break from any work related to the university!

I Spent X-mas in Paris where my parents now live! Some family members came from Portugal and it all just made me feel when I used to spend Christmas at home!

London really is a central city to the rest of Europe, I took a Bus from Victoria coach Station for £20 and in 7 hours I was in Paris with my family! I also do this when we have longer weekends from studying just to visit family!

New year was spent in Portugal at home in my pijamas, and it was just a nice and calm evening! After all I said I wanted to have a break and rest right?

I've just arrived in London, and I now need to catch up! I'm contacting churches for one of my films! I'll leave a couple images down for reference of what I'm looking for!

Spoiler:
    Show

Spoiler:
    Show

I'll have a couple more meetings during the next week to put some details into place and then on the 23rd I'll be picking up the new students starting their adventure from the airport!

Cut!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    I have the intention of study the visual effect in middlesex. but after some research i am quite confused right now. Is the BA visual effect course being accredited by the creative skillset tick. seems like a lot of other courses in this area have been accredited by this organisation. will this affect the recognisation for the graduates in the industry? as a non native english speaker, this kind of worries me as i really want to get a job in uk. how much work placement opportunity u can get throughout the course? also, the entry requirement thing kind of confused me as it didnt mention anything about portfolio or interview. so is that true that this course dont do any interview?
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Blaine,

Here is your reply

I was unsure so had to check back with the lecturers to make sure I would give you a proper answer!

"At this time we are not formally reviewing portfolios but we do like to see them to get a sense of the skill level of incoming students. Our students do well when they already have Photoshop and 3D software experience.

Creative Skillset requires at least one graduating class in order to earn the tick mark. Since we are a new course we will need to wait until our current first year students are able to complete the sequence. (so by the time you graduate assuming you will be coming this next year we should already have it)

To be honest the only thing that employers care about is the quality of demo reel and portfolio from job applications. If the work is great and the person is able to communicate their knowledge well in an interview then they have a chance to be successful.

Thanks and Kind Regards
    Sergio Gonzalez

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hi everyone!

Sorry for missing a post last week but things have been realllyy busy! There are 24 days left before my first production takes place. I've changed a project, I'm now doing a piece on a person who suffers from "flat effect" he does not feel any emotions, but, on the other side he enjoys recording other people feeling, so he carries a handicam around in order to had emotions to his private collection.

this week is being fully focus on my productions, last tuesday we spent the evening looking at locations for Emotions Collector, we are looking at churches and vestri rooms! I'll had pictures underneath for the effect!

Cut!!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

16 Days left for my first production to start! I'm so excited! Castings have been happening during this past week, and the next one is also directed at castings!

Last Wednesday we spent the night close to one of the locations and we tested how did the car lights be useful when composing a shoot! And how to frame everything. Our DoP tried some shoots behind the car to get the action on front, etc...

I'll leave a picture I took on the place.

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  20170125_180155.jpg
Views: 140
Size:  483.0 KB

I'm a producer! Soooo one of the fun jobs of the producer is to come up with making sure the whole production is happy and secure on the location! So I need to do a risk assessment ( basically a document where you try to predict everything bad that can happen while filming), for those of you who want to become producers have a look, because you are going to spend some time doing them once you come to the course!

Spoiler:
    Show

This is a risk assessment for a production that happens in a kitchen!

Attachment 615298

That's all for this week!

Wait until next Sunday for more news about my week!

CUT!!!
    Attached Images

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This was a really simple week, I spent most of the days in castings and have found most of my actors! Ba Film 3rd year are now starting their productions and more and more we spend time outside of uni just preparing for everything!

After castings comes the decision of who to pick and both the director and the producer need to be in accordance!

Wait until next Sunday for more news about my week!

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This week was quite fun! Open day happen yesterday and we have been running the National Student Survey at the university!

We're on verge of starting my first production of the year! During this week we went prop shopping just outside of London and we were completely blown away by what the store looked like! I'm going to let you have a sneak peak at the store so that you can actually understand how good it was!

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  20170209_150711.jpg
Views: 135
Size:  515.6 KB

See you next Sunday!

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Hi! just wondering roughly how much do you spend ? living expenses and also projects . Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi Dear Eun!

Thank you for the question!

It depends on where you want to live, right now I share a house with my cousin and my girlfriend which makes the price a little bit more cheap! I spend about 550£ a month for accommodation, food, going out, etc...

Shooting a film can cost a lot of money! From hiring locations to paying the cast, to paying for festival submissions, money just evaporates! In terms of my projects It really depends on the project at hand, prices can go from £200 until £3000. It really depends on what you want to do. Obviously right now I'm doing my final year dissertation projects so I want to make sure everything is as perfect as it possibly could, so I'm investing a little bit more money then normal! Right now one of my projects has a budget of 1.500£ and this is how I distributed the money.

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  rzjdrve7zlvcueqliepy.png
Views: 123
Size:  81.8 KB

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruben at MDX)
    Hi Dear Eun!

Thank you for the question!

It depends on where you want to live, right now I share a house with my cousin and my girlfriend which makes the price a little bit more cheap! I spend about 550£ a month for accommodation, food, going out, etc...

Shooting a film can cost a lot of money! From hiring locations to paying the cast, to paying for festival submissions, money just evaporates! In terms of my projects It really depends on the project at hand, prices can go from £200 until £3000. It really depends on what you want to do. Obviously right now I'm doing my final year dissertation projects so I want to make sure everything is as perfect as it possibly could, so I'm investing a little bit more money then normal! Right now one of my projects has a budget of 1.500£ and this is how I distributed the money.

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  rzjdrve7zlvcueqliepy.png
Views: 123
Size:  81.8 KB

Cool! Thanks for the reply

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This week was just ridiculous! Going to Bed at 05:00am waking up at 10:00am, going to location, setting up, it was definitively a busy wee! But at least one of my projects it's done! Emotions Collector Is now In post production and in the hands of our editor! Hopefully I can leave you a sneak peak soon! For now I'll leave you some images of the shooting days.

Spoiler:
    Show

Lights Set up on our Outside scene

Me, Backing up footage

FrenchoPortuguese Catering Team!

The whole Crew!

Le Set

See you next Sunday!

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

This week was stressfull, I'm filming my 2nd Film for the Dissertation Module, and I've come to some problems, on the second day of filming, my actress twisted her ankle, which made it impossible to follow for the 3rd and last day of filming! Being in Film is really about this, about trying to predict what is going to happen, and after that adapt to all the situations you face! Even though in this case, it simply means we are going to have to pay extra 250£ to film another day!

We were filming outside in the middle of the Fields, with no eating, no electricity for 2 days, so this is what we come up to, so that everyone could be comfortable!

Spoiler:
    Show

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    1, 2, 3 .... ACTION!!

Hey Everyone!

It's finally done! All the hard work has finally paid off! I've just finish all of my practical work! My two dissertation films are finally completed!

This week was one of the most exciting weeks of my life, I got to film in a Low Loader! Picture down in the Spoiler!

Spoiler:
    Show

Name:  IMG-20170318-WA0000.jpg
Views: 119
Size:  547.6 KB

No matter how good the filming was, we are now taking it to another step of the production, editing! It will take about 2/3 months until the film is ready to go to festivals!

CUT!!!

ReputationRep:
    Dear all,

This week was Easter break so I took up the time to rest and take care of some of the essays!

Both my projects are on the editing stage right now, It's just a matter of waiting for the final product!

Tag in next week for more news.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: May 22, 2017
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.