Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Treblebee
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol very good! Please tell me you don't use "I personally" or "the government have"... O.o
Kyx
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
(Original post by Treblebee)
lol very good! Please tell me you don't use "I personally" or "the government have"... O.o
I personally do not, no
Treblebee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)
I personally do not, no
:lol:
But seriously, the lack of grammar is killing me! Once, on the radio, I heard someone saying "Lords has" (in ref to the House of Lords) and I got my hopes up... only to be crushed again when they said "I personally". Ah, the plight of the grammar police! X'P
Kyx
Rep:
?
:lol:
But seriously, the lack of grammar is killing me! Once, on the radio, I heard someone saying "Lords has" (in ref to the House of Lords) and I got my hopes up... only to be crushed again when they said "I personally". Ah, the plight of the grammar police! X'P
Ouch!
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Last night (last night) you said (you said): "I literally couldn't get out of bed!".
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Say you got an 'it' followed by apostrophe, tell me what does that mean?
Kyx
Rep:
?
(Original post by 571122)
Say you got an 'it' followed by apostrophe, tell me what does that mean?
You would not us 'it's' in this case

As a possessive, no no no, it's a contraction, no no no

What's a contraction?

Well, it's the shortening of a word or group of words by the omission of a sound or letter...
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Say, Kyx, on a side note: don't you think it's unnecessary to post grammar lessons here? We're all students of higher education and we all passed our English grammar lessons in high school, making the lessons in this video (for kids ages 11-12) quite redundant.
Nirvana1989-1994
  • Political Ambassador
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hmm, this is coming from the person who, single-handedly, flushed the Green Party down the toilet.
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol very good! Please tell me you don't use "I personally"
There's nothing wrong with that though.
Treblebee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SmashConcept)
There's nothing wrong with that though.
lol yes there is: "personally" is another way of saying "I" - you can have a personal best, or personally feel one way, or have a personal tour, but you can't use "I" before it in that way.
#grammarpolice
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol yes there is: "personally" is another way of saying "I"
No it isn't. Personally is an adverb, I is a pronoun. They are not even the same kind of word, let alone the same word.

- you can have a personal best, or personally feel one way, or have a personal tour, but you can't use "I" before it in that way.
#grammarpolice
"you can personally feel one way" has the exact same structure as "I can personally feel one way." You're saying the exact thing you're complaining about, while complaining about it. You're also beginning sentences with a lower case "lol" and using hashtags while critiquing grammar.
SabbyCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I used to be a grammar Nazi but nowadays I'm not so sure: I just think it's so interesting to see different patterns emerging, making our language more varied and personal; as long as we can understand people, what's the real problem? Unfortunately there is still loads of stigma around different accents, dialects and idiolects though, so many of us are forced to keep to traditional "rules" and standards.
Treblebee
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SmashConcept)
No it isn't. Personally is an adverb, I is a pronoun. They are not even the same kind of word, let alone the same word.

"you can personally feel one way" has the exact same structure as "I can personally feel one way." You're saying the exact thing you're complaining about, while complaining about it. You're also beginning sentences with a lower case "lol" and using hashtags while critiquing grammar.
That's because I'm a teenager who has been taught grammar by someone with an Eton-like education; I do know how to use correct grammar when I have to, and certainly use a lot more semi-colons and commas than other people, in general. I do use a more informal way of writing when on TSR, if it's an explanation that you're seeking.
The person who taught me grammar could probably answer your argument much better than I can; all I know is that she has flawless grammar, and has taught it to me from a young age. I'm not personally aware of the exact reason as to why "I personally" is incorrect, but I'm sure you could find out if you want to.

In short, while "I can personally feel one way" is indeed correct, it doesn't have the exact same structure as "I personally feel one way" or, even worse, "I personally can feel one way".

In short (or even shorter, if you like), I'm sick of silly grammar arguments; whoever invented them can go and explain them to you all they like, but I'm not going to bother doing that for them.
the bear
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Kyx)

Well, it's the shortening of a word or group of words by the omission of a sound or letter...

SabbyCat
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That's because I'm a teenager who has been taught grammar by someone with an Eton-like education; I do know how to use correct grammar when I have to, and certainly use a lot more semi-colons and commas than other people, in general. I do use a more informal way of writing when on TSR, if it's an explanation that you're seeking.
The person who taught me grammar could probably answer your argument much better than I can; all I know is that she has flawless grammar, and has taught it to me from a young age. I'm not personally aware of the exact reason as to why "I personally" is incorrect, but I'm sure you could find out if you want to.

In short, while "I can personally feel one way" is indeed correct, it doesn't have the exact same structure as "I personally feel one way" or, even worse, "I personally can feel one way".

In short (or even shorter, if you like), I'm sick of silly grammar arguments; whoever invented them can go and explain them to you all they like, but I'm not going to bother doing that for them.
It might be because personally is an adverb (if my grasp of word classing from A Level back in the day isn't too rusty..) but it modifies a noun (pronoun) in this case so it's not in line with the rule that adverbs modify verbs only.
SmashConcept
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If you don't know enough grammar to understand the concept, then how do you know your teacher has flawless grammar?

If you're sick of grammar arguments, why did you start one? Nobody invented language, that's not how it works. People use words to convey certain meanings, and if they want to convey the meaning that something is their personal opinion as opposed to a professional opinion or a process driven mandate, then they words they use to convey that meaning are "I personally..."
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Tbh this is not as simple as it looks, as a few collective nouns do take the plural 'have' (e.g. you say 'the police have...' which is correct) and in British English the entire situation is so messy that it's pretty much acceptable to use either the singular or plural because usage varies so, so much. In American English you would need to use the singular 'has'/'is' etc.

Likewise there is nothing wrong with using 'I personally'. It can be over-used, but it is perfectly valid to say "I personally" if you are relating your statement to some personal experience instead of second-hand.
Asolare
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by SabbyCat)
I used to be a grammar Nazi but nowadays I'm not so sure: I just think it's so interesting to see different patterns emerging, making our language more varied and personal; as long as we can understand people, what's the real problem? Unfortunately there is still loads of stigma around different accents, dialects and idiolects though, so many of us are forced to keep to traditional "rules" and standards.
I agree, there needs to be a general set of rules (which are based upon how people already speak) to follow, but such traditions that hardcore grammarians insist on e.g. never ending a sentence with a preposition, are just silly and don't reflect changing speech in society.

But this song is pretty fun and catchy :-)
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (158)
13.31%
Excited (106)
8.93%
Worried (217)
18.28%
Terrified (277)
23.34%
Meh (94)
7.92%
Confused (32)
2.7%