Turn on thread page Beta

Considering dropping out of my undergraduate masters degree watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently in my 5th year (undergraduate masters) of my engineering degree, having completed my honours year last year. I find myself thinking about leaving with my honours and not completing the masters though. We are half way through the first semester. I don't feel happy doing what I'm doing and feel like I'm not going to perform as well as I'm capable due to my lack of motivation. I've found myself feeling really depressed and stressed about uni and really don't know if I'd be making a mistake leaving without the masters or if it would be a mistake to carry on and be beyond miserable for the rest of the course and potentially do poorly.

People keep saying things like "its only 7 months" and "Just hold on", but its more of a slog and a huge push with lots of hard work to get to the end rather than just holding on (I'm aware that's what a masters is, I'm just saying its easier said than done). I'm also aware this is a massive life choice so would appreciate any advice.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Do you need the masters for what you want to do later? Will you want to do a masters later? Why are you finding uni hard? There may be something in the background that's making you miserable. Talk to your tutor and maybe go to advice and counselling to help work out what that is.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah you're maybe right about the counselling thing. Been to it before when I started 3rd year and it really helped and I really don't want to leave and end up feeling like I've made a mistake. I think part of it being so hard is partially due to being educationally exhausted, but also partly because I am a mature student and got married in the summer so in a way feel like my life has stalled a bit with coming back to uni when I'd like to be getting on with regular (out of uni/working/more relaxed/enjoyable) part of life. And the thought of quitting now and doing a masters later in life doesn't appeal to me but I think that's because I'm in the position I'm in.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There's no shame is graduating with just the undergraduate honours degree. I voluntarily finished my integrated masters before the start og my final (fourth) year and graduated with a BSc. I then did a PG masters in something I enjoy a lot more, and this is my career now.

So I'd recommend doing whatever you think will make you happier. A degree in engineering is still worth a good amount so you shouldn't struggle any more than other people to get jobs, or a PG masters.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by 141Gav89)
    I'm currently in my 5th year (undergraduate masters) of my engineering degree, having completed my honours year last year. I find myself thinking about leaving with my honours and not completing the masters though. We are half way through the first semester. I don't feel happy doing what I'm doing and feel like I'm not going to perform as well as I'm capable due to my lack of motivation. I've found myself feeling really depressed and stressed about uni and really don't know if I'd be making a mistake leaving without the masters or if it would be a mistake to carry on and be beyond miserable for the rest of the course and potentially do poorly.

People keep saying things like "its only 7 months" and "Just hold on", but its more of a slog and a huge push with lots of hard work to get to the end rather than just holding on (I'm aware that's what a masters is, I'm just saying its easier said than done). I'm also aware this is a massive life choice so would appreciate any advice.
    I'm a bit late in replying to this (sorry), but some things to consider:

It generally is easier to secure engineering work with the full MEng degree.

But at the same time, if you muck up the masters year then that will affect the overall grade you are awarded for your degree. A lot of employers stipulate a minimum of a 2:1. A 2:2 or Merit at MEng may not necessarily be better than a 2:1 or above at BEng.

It's a difficult one, but you can always go back later for a masters if you need one, and it may be in an area that you are more motivated to perform well in, too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 10, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.