The Student Room Group

Does a presentation need to include a PowerPoint presentation?

Hello,

I have an interview this week within a school for a PGCE in Art & Design (SCITT)

There is a 5 minute presentation requirement, "knowledge,understanding and skills gained from your school experience?"

Would you suggest a handout and me to stand up and speak or have the accompanying information behind me on a screen (power point), I feel as though a PowerPoint it slightly unnecessary because I'm talking about my personal experience unless you think they want to see how I make a PowerPoint to show IT skills?
I also don't want them to think I'm reliant upon the PowerPoint by reading from it or pointing to it, therefore I don't think I'd look at it much and it would just be behind me, not sure if this is slightly disengaging
Thank you
Sophia
I'm not sure a handout is the way to go for an interview and generally even if you do have a powerpoint you don't want to be reading off it. I would use a powerpoint if I were you and just have bullets on there as a reminder to yourself and your audience of what you're going to talk about and to help with structure a bit. Maybe even a single slide.
Reply 2
Yes 100% they want to see you can use powerpoint and IT (it also looks more professional). It sounds silly but many people (myself included) take IT skills for granted. There will be people on your PGCE who have weak IT skills. I would use a powerpoint to introduce you and then to highlight key points of your talk, it is also good to prompt in case you freeze up or get lost.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Sophiatj
Hello,

I have an interview this week within a school for a PGCE in Art & Design (SCITT)

There is a 5 minute presentation requirement, "knowledge,understanding and skills gained from your school experience?"

Would you suggest a handout and me to stand up and speak or have the accompanying information behind me on a screen (power point), I feel as though a PowerPoint it slightly unnecessary because I'm talking about my personal experience unless you think they want to see how I make a PowerPoint to show IT skills?
I also don't want them to think I'm reliant upon the PowerPoint by reading from it or pointing to it, therefore I don't think I'd look at it much and it would just be behind me, not sure if this is slightly disengaging
Thank you
Sophia

You know the answer. A Powerpoint is completely unnecessary. Your 5 minute slot will be over in a flash.
Hi I had to do this for my pgce drama interview today . I felt the same n struggled with the idea of power point but I did one in the end just as a basis bullet points of what u wanted to discuss and some images . I also took some old programmes from school productions I have done as a hand out I wanted to be different . I will find out today eeek this is the choice I want so I'm so scared
In my presentations, I always use graphical tools and templates https://poweredtemplate.com/powerpoint-diagrams-charts/ppt-process-diagrams/00019/0/index.html. This helps me to create the most qualitative and informative presentations on various topics. Maybe it will be as useful to you as me.
Old thread! No Powerpoint is good- death by Powerpoint is not. Indeed it's a good icebreaker to say why you have not used Powerpoint.
I like working with PowerPoint.
Reply 8
Just to add to my earlier point; I think people are missing that while you don't need one, for a PGCE interview a powerpoint can demonstrate your IT skills.
Original post by S27
Just to add to my earlier point; I think people are missing that while you don't need one, for a PGCE interview a powerpoint can demonstrate your IT skills.

Any child can make a Powerpoint. It is not an impressive achievement.
Don't overdo the powerpoint if you must do one, keep it simple, its about you, and nothing worse than a technology failure at an interview.
Original post by S27
for a PGCE interview a powerpoint can demonstrate your IT skills.

I think you need to get over this. My 7 year-old son can use PowerPoint. And all the best teachers / presenters I ever knew did not use PowerPoint. If anything I think PowerPoint is a force for bad in any "good" presentation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending