Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I realise that these are probably getting pretty boring but I just though Id let you know that someone managed to get into my hotmail account last night and thus find my password for UKL on there and then come on here change my password, read my pms etc etc....

Just wondering if anyone on here can explain how they would have gotten my hotmail address off here as Ive never given it out to anyone from here? Plus it wasnt any of my friends 'from the real world' who wouldnt have even known what the UKL password email meant.....

anyone got any thoughts on how this would have happened?

ReputationRep:
    If they changed your password how are you able to access your account now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    If they changed your password how are you able to access your account now?
    Because they didnt change my email address on here so i was just able to request a new password to be sent to my account, after having to change my hotmail password as well, its just got me really confused as to how someone could have got my email address.

Do you know if theres a way that mods can track my account activity on here so as to work out what time they came on?

ReputationRep:
    so far accounts affected:
    Cossack
    Vienna
    Swafta
    An Siarach

hmmm :rolleyes:

I am wondering how this is happening too, I do not understand why they would want to hack your account either.

ReputationRep:
    I got some "password change" emails from gmail which suggests that someone was trying to log on as me and failed - the system sent me an email for resetting my password. I'm glad nothing's happened to my UKL account so far.

ReputationRep:
    clearly poor security by UKL

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I got some "password change" emails from gmail which suggests that someone was trying to log on as me and failed - the system sent me an email for resetting my password. I'm glad nothing's happened to my UKL account so far.
    Out of interest is it possible for you to check what my registered email is currently set to for the an Siarach account?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Lad)
    surely it's not UKL's fault for someone hacking into his hotmail account- or am i missing something here :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nan Siarich)
    Out of interest is it possible for you to check what my registered email is currently set to for the an Siarach account?
    I can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cool Lad)
    If someone guesses your password, its your own fault for having a guessable password

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    If someone guesses your password, its your own fault for having a guessable password
    It probably is my fault as i kept my password as the random numerical one that gets sent to your email address as i thought that would make it impossible for people to guess,

Adhsur - is it possible to check what the activity of my account after 3pm yesterday untill 6am (Uk Times) was??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cossack)
    It probably is my fault as i kept my password as the random numerical one that gets sent to your email address as i thought that would make it impossible for people to guess
    you did say you had it in your hotmail account

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elpaw)
    you did say you had it in your hotmail account
    Yep, but how would people on here know what my hotmail email address is in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but how would people on here know what my hotmail email address is in the first place?
    aaaAAAAaaah, good point.

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing keyloggers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 2776)
    I'm guessing keyloggers.
    sorry im pretty much computer illiterate what are key loggers?

ReputationRep:
    sorry im pretty much computer illiterate what are key loggers?
    They're programs that record keystrokes and either save them to a file or send them to whoever wants them.

shhh cossack

(Original post by Adhsur)
    I can't.
    [email protected] cannot have been the email you signed up with here, it cant have been....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DazYa777)
    [email protected] cannot have been the email you signed up with here, it cant have been....
    how did you work that out? Gmail has been around for how long? and how long has Adhsur been registared? you do the sums

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.