Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So my sixth form was fairly small very traditional, meaning they didn't offer subjects like Design, Textiles, or even subjects like sociology, psychology, media, etc etc..

My a-levels were:
    Economics - B
    Religious Studies - B
    Maths - C
    Furhter Maths AS - C

I'm now at Sussex Uni studying International Development, but i've always been interested in fashion and i'm now thinking of dropping out and applying to Brighton Uni to do Fashion with Business

Obviously my a-levels are not really relevant to fashion at all, but aside from this I have made and sold my own clothes now, my brand is called Sullen Girl UK and i've put together 2 full collections so far

Do you think that my experience with selling my own clothes would be enough to get me into a fashion degree despite my lack of creative subjects/qualifications?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    As far as I understand you can apply with any a-levels so long as you have a strong portfolio of work (conceptual work and sketches, photos of finished products etc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AmeliaLost)
    As far as I understand you can apply with any a-levels so long as you have a strong portfolio of work (conceptual work and sketches, photos of finished products etc)
    Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    To get onto an fashion degree you will need more of a creative/artistic portfolio of sketches and designing for fashion. When you say 'made', have you sewed all of the clothing yourself, or just designed the logos? Your brand and experience at selling clothes won't be enough to get you into a fashion degree by itself, it will simply be a perk/extra.

They will want to see an artistic side to you, with a wide range of fashion styles and designs with unusual patterns and shapes etc. A fashion degree would normally require an a level in either art or textiles but as you don't have that either see how much you can develop your portfolio on your own or look at online examples of what your proposed course requires. Although i expect that without an artistic a level you may have to do an art foundation course before you can get on the course. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tithan)
    To get onto an fashion degree you will need more of a creative/artistic portfolio of sketches and designing for fashion. When you say 'made', have you sewed all of the clothing yourself, or just designed the logos? Your brand and experience at selling clothes won't be enough to get you into a fashion degree by itself, it will simply be a perk/extra.

They will want to see an artistic side to you, with a wide range of fashion styles and designs with unusual patterns and shapes etc. A fashion degree would normally require an a level in either art or textiles but as you don't have that either see how much you can develop your portfolio on your own or look at online examples of what your proposed course requires. Although i expect that without an artistic a level you may have to do an art foundation course before you can get on the course. Hope this helps
    very helpful, thank you!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.