Turn on thread page Beta

If you go to a low ranked uni could you be refused a job watch

ReputationRep:
    I did not believe this but my friend insists this is true.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. You could also be refused a job if you go to a high ranking university.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clonedmemories)
    Yes. You could also be refused a job if you go to a high ranking university.
    Sorry i should have made this clear- could you be refused a job because of the university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ValkyrieScythe)
    Sorry i should have made this clear- could you be refused a job because of the university
    Hmmm, I think it comes down more to what course you've done (i.e. how relevant it is) and whether you have a first, 2:1 etc. But they might possibly reject you in favour of someone with a better uni on their cv. Job market is competitive these days.

ReputationRep:
    An employer is going to hire the person they think is the most qualified for the job. That includes the course content, the quality of the teaching, an individual's academic success and their extra-curricular achievements and skills.

You won't be refused a job because the ranking is low. You may be refused a job because of what that low ranking means; it generally signifies a lower quality of teaching or less advanced content than universities of higher ranking.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    Nah, chill out, Jack Sparrow.

ReputationRep:
    I'm remember reading this somewhere but don't the places want to hire the person not the university?

So sure it makes a small difference but even so, it's you they're hiring in the end.

ReputationRep:
    i don't think there is a black list of dodgy yoonies ?

CMIIW
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    I did not believe this but my friend insists this is true.
    It's nonsense for all but a very small group of employers.

ReputationRep:
    Employers will almost always pick oxbridge graduates over london met graduates

ReputationRep:
    I had a friend who went to a highly ranked ivy league university. He messed up and graduated with the worst ever gpa possible for one to graduate with ( in his words). True to his words, he was unable to find a job and was upset people with degrees from colleges which weren't even that highly ranked were getting jobs but not him.
    So it really just matters how well you study and work on your choice of subjects.
    All the best!

ReputationRep:
    Maybe if you went somewhere totally terrible then yeah they might reject you but for average or below average units they won't care as much for the most part

ReputationRep:
    Of course not. Everyone knows being refused a job is illegal

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 7, 2016
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.