Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did the Creative and Critical Writing Masters there is 2015 - the year they got rid of the 2 hour creative writing workshop... in essence, making it merely a literature MA. To be honest, the title of the MA is extremely misleading, I would call it MA in Critical Reading and Thinking... which has its merits, but a university has no right to deceive you like that.

You will do very little creative writing - 5% of your time will be dedicated to writing anything creative at all, the rest of it will be about attending seminars on philosophers, thinkers, literary critics, and then writing term papers on that... creative writing is merely an after-thought or an inconvenient extra for the tutors to discuss with you. You are discouraged from even talking about creative writing - as if it's a taboo subject. And then when you decide not to include any creative writing in your assignments, you are told 'oh but you must include SOME creative writing'... its an awkward course that isn't quite creative or critical.

The guy who runs it hates the concept of Creative Writing courses and believes that Creative Writing cannot be taught and that it's something you do on your own. Which is fair enough, but then what is the point in offering a course in Creative Writing if all you are doing is directing students away from it?

Just don't study at Sussex as a post-grad (unless you're studying Development or Global studies at IDS), you will be sorely disappointed. If you want to study Creative Writing, study at UEA, Manchester, Lancaster, Royal Holloway, City University or anywhere else... trust me, there's nothing for you at Sussex.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for posting this. I'm sorry to hear you had a bad experience. Have you contacted the university since to review the course? Was this a new course? Ugh.

I posted a few threads with a similar theme -- i.e. "Is this course worth it? Do you have any experiences you can speak to?" and I got a bunch of people who have never taken the course responding to me, suggesting I go to an Open Day (I'm overseas, I can't) or just post in the Postgrad forum. I want to know what I'm spending my money on, you know?

ReputationRep:
    Which course are you thinking of studying? and where?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medoclangue)
    Which course are you thinking of studying? and where?
    I'm applying to the MA in history at Durham, Exeter, York, and Oxford.

ReputationRep:
    All of those universities are good places to study. History is a standard subject that is likely to be taught well wherever you study, but Oxford might be much more traditional and old-fashioned.

The national student survey shows you which ones have the highest student satisfaction:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...action-results

Exeter and Oxford seem to be the most satisfying places that provide a more-rounded experience. Durham and York... maybe not so much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Medoclangue)
    All of those universities are good places to study. History is a standard subject that is likely to be taught well wherever you study, but Oxford might be much more traditional and old-fashioned.

The national student survey shows you which ones have the highest student satisfaction:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...action-results

Exeter and Oxford seem to be the most satisfying places that provide a more-rounded experience. Durham and York... maybe not so much.
    Thanks. I'm more interested in the program at Exeter - the research seems a bit more progressive.

What are you doing with your degree now?

ReputationRep:
    Exeter sounds good, I hope you get in.

Right now, I'm working full-time in London and am having a bit of writer's block, which I'm countering by reading a lot. After all, you can't write very well if you don't read much.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.