The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Snowy_x
I was reading the 'music-making' leaflet that I got with my offer letter, and it mentions offering 'subsidised instrumental lessons'. Does anyone know which instruments they offer lessons for and if they are suitable for beginners?

Danke xx

Ooh is this any college in particular or does it apply to the whole university? I would love to take piano lessons again :smile:
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Reply 2
is it just music students? or is it for everyone d'you know?
Reply 3
Well I am doing Medical Anthropolgy and they send me a letter, so I assume it's open to everyone? Also, my letter says 'music-making at John Snow college', but I would imagine the other colleges do it too?
Strangely, I am a music student and I haven't received this lol. Anyone able to give details as to what this says. Also, just as a side note, I'm actually toying with the idea of giving cheap piano lessons whilst at uni, but wonder whether it's a good idea?
Reply 5
It just gives info about the Music stuff at Snow College (eg Choir, Ocrchestra etc), then there's a paragraph about the option to have subsidised intrumental lessons (and you get the money back at the end of the year if you are in the college orchestra!). xx
Reply 6
...and I want to learn to play the Flute if anyone is interested? :wink: xx
angus_mcfisher
Strangely, I am a music student and I haven't received this lol. Anyone able to give details as to what this says. Also, just as a side note, I'm actually toying with the idea of giving cheap piano lessons whilst at uni, but wonder whether it's a good idea?

Do you have your own piano?
There's an old man who lives in the flat below and plays piano every night at 11pm, which is giving me the urge to want to learn to play, despite being completely musically retarded. I'd need lessons on the most basic level of "this machine is called a piano. this button is called a key. when you press the key it makes a noise. you press it with a finger."
goldenbarnes
Do you have your own piano?

I have my own piano at home, but I'll be bringing a full sized synthesiser which would be ok to teach piano on... we'll see what happens
Reply 10
angus_mcfisher

I'd be willing to take you up on this one - I don't have that much money to spare so being taught by a fellow student would be ideal :smile:
Reply 11
Anyone willing to teach violin? :smile:
I would be interested in some pianoing :smile:
Reply 13
Snowy - I play the flute to grade 8+ standard, though am terrified of teaching. But, I might think of teaching - I'll let you know. However, I will be looking for flute lessons, so will let you know. Also, I emailed Durham and they sent me a list of flute teachers in the area, I am sure you could do that too.
Reply 14
Wish I'd had the piano lessons idea. Though admittedly the rubbish keyboard I had last year wouldn't have been ideal.
Reply 15
Good idea, I will email Durham now!
Reply 16
Snowy - they gave me a list, I could email it to you if you PM me your address
I will take piano lessons off whoever is the cheapest :smile:

(eurgh! I'm goldenbarnes! why am I logged in as my girlfriend? mental)
Hmm.. well as not to rip off my fellow students I was thinking of charging £10/hr.
Reply 19
angus_mcfisher
]

Music students get subsidised lessons anyway as part of the Aural Skills and Performance module, I can't remember exactly how much by though. Teaching Piano is a good idea I reckon, but the dept won't let you use their facilities to do it (in fact it's actually stated that it's forbidden).

There's loads of info on stuff like this in the departmental handbook, which might be on the website but might be on DUO, in which case you won't be able to access it until you get to durham (I can't remember which!). Any more questions about music feel free to give me a shout!

Latest