Banking, Accounting and Finance at Middlesex University Watch

Ibrahim at MDX
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi Everyone!

My name is Ibrahim and I am currently in my third and final year studying BA (Honours) Business Accounting at Middlesex University. I am also the Course Ambassador for Banking, Accounting and Finance.

I am open to answering any queries regarding courses relating to Business Accounting, Accounting and Finance as well as Banking and Finance and aim to solve your questions as efficiently possible.

So please do not be hesitant to ask as I am looking forward to hearing from you guys.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Banking, Accounting and Finance
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
10 FAQs for Banking, Accounting and Finance at MDX

1. When does the course start?

Although many universities have an early start during September, here at Middlesex the course starts at October 2016 to help you ease into your first year.

2. Who is the course leader for BA Accounting and finance and how can I contact them?

The course leader for BA Accounting and Finance is Senior lecturer Kooi See Yeap and her email address is [email protected]

3. What modules will I be studying for the first year?

All first year modules are compulsory and each are worth 30 credits:

• Financial Accounting
  • Management Accounting
  • Business Economics
  • Financial Data Analysis

4. How does a sandwich year work for placements?

At Middlesex it is highly encouraged for students to take on a paid placement year, which can be taken at the end of the second year for 36 weeks. The placement if successfully completed will be accredited of 120 credits.

5. Is there another alternative to taking a year worth of placement?

Yes, there is an opportunity to split a placement into two 18 weeks placements during the summer holidays at the end of both first and second year.

6. Will MDX help me in obtaining a placement?

Yes of course, the Employability Service provides a tailored service to help boost your chances at employability from a constructing a strong CV, job search to coaching you for your upcoming interview or psychometric assessments. They’re only aim is to help you secure your potential job or placement.

7. What other benefits can I thrive on as a Banking, Accounting and Finance student at Middlesex University?

During your first year you will learn and use an actual industry based accounting programme called Sage for which you will receive a CIMA certificate in its completion.You will also have the opportunity to get involved and have access to other financial institutions such as Bloomberg and Data Stream. Finally you will receive various other invitations to on-campus networking events and business talks plus have the opportunity to be a part of the CIMA undergraduate club. Furthermore you get a free subscription to Financial Times and business scholarly article search engine EBSCO Host.

8. How will be assessed during the course?

Assessments are carried out in various methods at Middlesex:
  • Online tests
  • Online quizzes
  • Weekly seminar questions
  • Individual coursework essay / report
  • Group report / journal
  • End of year exams

9. What are the core textbooks that I will need for the course and where can I get them?

All textbooks for each of your modules are available online and in electronic format for free. In addition if you wish to obtain a hard copy of the textbooks they can alternatively be borrowed form the university library.

10. What if I choose to do a 4-year sandwich course but change my mind?

Don’t worry, if you wish to change back to a 3 year full time course all you have to do is inform the University to make that change, and you will be able to continue your study into the third year as usual.
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My Week- Sunday 13th November

As a result of receiving a break from two of my modules this week, I have been able to utilise the spare time to commit to group meetings for group assignments from each of my modules as well as make a start on individual research.

As a third year student, I am now more aware of the experience and process of how group meetings and work should take place, thus this year it has been going a lot smoother in comparison to the previous years. The usual structure of these meetings initially starts with a breakdown of key requirements of the assignment, then leading to consultation of how each requirement can be met and its level of manageability.

What I have learned from the previous years is that group work does not always involve the delegation and distiribution of each different part of an assignment, but rather a collective approach to increase the efficiency for every member in the group.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Sunday 20th November

This week has been another tense week with several group meet up and working sessions, requiring me to to attend uni even on the days I have no scheduled lessons.

For me the highlight of the week has to be the learning that took place during my finance seminar class. This is because prior to the lesson when attempting to work through the pre seminar tasks, I was completely struggling to even answer one of the questions, as I simply couldn't understand it and it was that difficult. The topic was regarding tax on the gains of sales and appraisal. Nonetheless that day I had realised why my tutors have always urged the importance of attending seminar sessions, as thankfully I had left the session with a clear understanding of the questions.

It just goes to show that somethings things are meant to be difficult and require that additional support in order to grasp, and despite us being adults and assuming that we can figure it all out by ourselves, there's a reason why our tutors and lecturers are there at university and that their aim is to make sure you excel.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Sunday 27th November

This week has been an intense week with my group presentation for corporate Governance module that took place on Wednesday evening as well as my individual coursework essay draft due on Thursday for my Accounting Theory module.

As for the presentation, we had started preparing and practicing few days before the due date, hence why we didn't face any issues on the day and things had run smoothly. We had made sure that organisation was key in regards to both the layout of the presentation slides, content and our order during presentation. Then we had focused on body language, voice projection and the relevancy of our speeches, which was probably the most difficult element of the presentation. The presentation was based on the breakdown of a financial and regulatory report and since my part had involved analysing the main elements and aims of the report; prioritising, organising and condensing down the information was fairly difficult. However with the help of the group during group meetings, we were able to solve the issues, thus why effective group communication and cohesion is so essential during such tasks.

Thankfully after the 15 minutes of presenting we had received a warming applause by the other presenters, as well as the tutor herself, who had provided us with feedback explaining how are genuine efforts were truly reflected by the quality of our presentation and that she had really appreciated it.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My Week - Sunday 4th December 2016

The highlight of this week was receiving feedback on the draft of one of my coursework essays for my Accounting theory module. Considering that this one piece of essay was contributing to an entire 50% of the module grade, this essay has been at the top of my list regarding importance for the past few weeks and currently still is.

The feedback session has yet to be one of the most beneficial sessions I have experienced since starting my final year. My tutor had broken down my work and marked according to the structure, flow, content and grammar of my essay. She had underlined areas that need to be shortened down and suggested a more logical approach and order in regards to some key points made in the essay. Furthermore she had also listed the good aspects of the essay, stating that she had liked the flow and conciseness of some of the points made, however suggesting that it would be greatly enhanced if I had involved more real life examples and cases relating to the points made.

During the feedback session I had also addressed my issue of covering the several points and that I was finding it difficult to cover everything under a 2000 words limit. My tutor had responded to my query explaining for me to write logically and to prioritise and elaborate on specific topics, rather than trying to cover everything, and that it is essential to make sure that my points are relevant to the main essay question through out.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Sunday 11th December

This week has been a rather hectic week with the submission deadline for my accounting theory module on Friday. Time management was key this week considering that I had other tasks to prepare for ,such as my group presentation taking place next Thursday. We had arranged group meeting sessions within the week, where we had reviewed on our current progress and agreed on the next requirements in order to complete the presentation. Besides the academic pressure of this week I was able to still stay one with the festive spirit as me and friends enjoyed and toured the christmas market that took place at our very own scholars courtyard at MDX. The market was full of positive and festive vibes, with the an array of great foods ranging from freshly made crepes, popcorn to an indian street food stall serving up great food to warm you up for the winter chills. Overall this week was an intense week that had a rather satisfying ending.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
louemily1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I am doing an assignment for accounting in my first year and don't understand what this part of the assignment is asking. I understand what a journal is where you debit and credit changes from one transaction. But don't get what I have to do for this

Journal entries detailing entries for any accruals, prepayments or depreciation you may have considered, including a full explanation and justification for these journal entries.
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
(Original post by louemily1)
I am doing an assignment for accounting in my first year and don't understand what this part of the assignment is asking. I understand what a journal is where you debit and credit changes from one transaction. But don't get what I have to do for this

Journal entries detailing entries for any accruals, prepayments or depreciation you may have considered, including a full explanation and justification for these journal entries.
Hi there!

Well thats good to hear that you understand and are able to distinguish between which transactions you would debit and credit and process the journal entries, since this process is referred to as the 'detailing entries' which is half the requirement of the part, thus it is asking you demonstrate where you would allocate the specific entries for all accrual, prepayments or depreciations. Then the next half of the requirement wants you to explain and justify why you have allocated them to such entries and according to their characteristics of either an income or expense.

For example in the case of depreciation entries, you would open a depreciation expense account and at the end of each accounting period you would enter a debit entry for the depreciation amount and credit the accumulated depreciation account, and perhaps explain that the depreciation expense account is debited 'x' amount since how it is a decrease in the value of asset, thus is considered an expense and how the credit entry in the accumulated depreciation acts an 'contra-asset' in order to offset the cost of the asset and to take into the total amount of its expense charged since it has been purchased etc.

I hope this helps a bit, however considering this is your assignment it is crucial that you further arrange a meeting with your seminar tutor in order to resolve your difficulties since it is your tutor who will be marking your work and will be of most help and will provide you with the correct guidance.

Kind Regards,

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Sunday 18th December

Considering the following commences our christmas break, many of my module tutors had allowed us an early leave, therefore this can week can be considered the unofficial first week of the Christmas break. Time truly is passing by very quickly this year indeed. Nonetheless considering that I had decided to actually ease down for this first entire week of the holiday, I feel rather refreshed and now aim to get some serious productivity in for the following week ahead hopefully.

This week I had spend most of time catching up with family and relatives, as well as allowing myself to get out and about to catch up with friends. The highlight of the week has to be my visit to the ever so famous seasonal funfair that takes place every year in London at the Hyde park, the Winter Wonderland. This was a great outing that had really kick started the festive spirit of the holiday and was a great treat. Despite the calm and chilled approach to the week, I had still managed to fit in some revision as well as work towards some of my assignments, which is due after the Christmas break. Since it is essential as a student to be able to always balance the work and life proportionately.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Sunday 25th December

With the festive week coming to an end, this week was a rather steady week of studying. Although I don't celebrate Christmas due to my religion, but considering the surrounding festivity taking place throughout London, it was a still a warming ambience not to let slip away. I had decided to take upon the opportunity to stroll around central London through out the week to enjoy the Christmas lights with the company of my loyal camera. Furthermore the highlight of the week had to be on the Christmas day itself where I had gathered with my relatives to enjoy our version of a christmas dinner since all members were off from their work on that day. Since we all know how busy the London life really is, thus it is definitely a treat to experience a pause once in a while with the rest of your close ones.

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My Week - Sunday 1st January 2017

Happy new year ! this week has been another week of outings, photography sessions, and essential studying. This week I had finally started my regular gym sessions again after my three week bulking period. Therefore being the fitness freak that I am, this has been the highlight of this week as it is always a satisfying feeling after a good workout, and especially one after a bulking phase. With the year, this week has been a period of reflection and appreciation towards the year of 2016, and the many obstacles that we have encountered and overcome. So to end on a positive note, I wish you all the best of luck for the years ahead and to make it more positive, successful and prosperous!

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
m.aslam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What are the best and worst things about uni in your opinion?
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
Hi there!

Well there are many benefits and positive points to university, and to be fair I wouldn't think that there are any 'worst' points but rather circumstances that can be challenging however they can be overcome. So for example:

Best:

• The student lifestyle, independence and freedom.
  • The graduate qualification
  • Gathering advanced levels of knowledge and insight from studying a variety of different modules within the course
  • Getting taught by senior and experienced lectures and tutors who were heavily involved and some are still active in their working fields.
  • Aid from the MDX works team, and their services to boost employability, CV help and job search and preparation.
  • Flexible timetables compared to previous school or college schedules
  • In my case, being able to enjoy studying at the very modern campus at MDX
  • Developing long-lasting social and mature relationships with both students and staff.

Challenges:

• Being independent and responsibly managing work load and deadlines
  • Adjusting to the different types of teaching methods or assessments i.e Multiple choice questionnaires, group reports and presentations.
  • Being consistent with revision
  • Multitasking and managing different module content and tasks.

However in regards to the challenges my biggest advice would be to prioritise your work load and schedule your work in advance. Moreover to stay on top of your work can be difficult if it is not managed on a regular basis, therefore practices such as making your own personal notes after lectures and to answer exercise questions yourself and getting them reviewed by your tutors is very effective. This leads on to my next advice which is to not be hesitant in approaching your lecturers and tutors in regards to your queries as they are always there to help you to make sure you grasp every information, task and assignments. Lastly but most importantly is attendance, since every lecture and seminar is essential to either your assignments or exams, and that each lecture can be over an hour long; so if you don't attend it can result in you falling back and struggling to keep on track with the weekly content.

I hope this has helped and feel free to address any further queries you have, I would be happy to help.

Kind regards,

Ibrahim Musa
Course Ambassador
m.aslam
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Hey,
Sorry I do have a few questions.
Would you recommend doing a sandwich course, especially if you will be going into banking, finance or accounting department and have not any experience?
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week- Sunday 8th January 2017

Considering it being the last week of the holiday, this week was more studying and revision oriented as I had focused on completing the required revision and work due for my modules for the following week. Besides the academic work this week I had also spent my time preparing and completing tasks as the course ambassador my cluster for the upcoming university VIP and applicant days ahead. Overall this week has been rather calm as I have spent most of my time at home organising and preparing myself for the next term ahead.

Ibrahim
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Sunday 15th January 2017

With the first week back at university after the holidays, it has been rather tense and hectic. From several pressures such as receiving feedback and editing my individual coursework essay for my corporate governance module, meeting up for group working sessions for my Financial statement analysis and evaluation module as well as taking a formative test for my Finance module; this week had required me to truly multi-task and delegate my time efficiently. However considering it is my final year it would only be normal for me to cope with such pressures, considering it is only a matter of a few months before it all comes to an end. This idea has been a real motivation for me this week to pull myself through all the tasks faced this week.

Ibrahim
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
(Original post by m.aslam)
Hey,
Sorry I do have a few questions.
Would you recommend doing a sandwich course, especially if you will be going into banking, finance or accounting department and have not any experience?
Hi there!

I would definitely reccomend taking up and persuing a placement or internship as it is so effective when adding it to your academic qualification because it will really boost your employability and result in a stronger CV and appear attractive to employers. Although any type of work experience will ultimately be beneficial a placement or work experience that is relevant to your field of studies will be more effective and will also add a practical and real-life experience to your academic studies.

Ibrahim
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week- Sunday 22nd January 2017

This week has a been an overall productive week considering the first draft of our Financial statement Analysis and Valuation group report was due on Friday. Most of our spare hours were spent on group working sessions in the basement floor of the shepperd library with a plentiful supply of coffee and snacks as we dug deep into the report. The highlight of this week has to be the grade feedback for my accounting theory individual coursework, where my friend and me had thankfully achieved a first class in, thus a great way to end a long and intense week.

Ibrahim
Course Ambassador
Ibrahim at MDX
Rep:
?
My week - Saturday 28th January 2017

This week has been a rather steady week building up to the VIP event which had taken place on Thursday evening. Working at the event was definitely the highlight of the week since it had involved high levels of networking and interactions between applicants, and in my case working with fellow colleagues and senior university staffs. Overall the event was a success as we had tackled through large crowds all under a controlled and calm approach thanks to the effective teamwork of our student ambassador and course ambassador. The atmosphere was truly buzzing and with the accompany of great food and refreshments, it was definitely a satisfying treat before the event had come to its end.

Ibrahim
Course Ambassador
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (86)
17.73%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (313)
64.54%
Not yet but I am planning to (23)
4.74%
Not yet but I might (63)
12.99%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed