Email account "expired" with no warning Watch

HelpMePleaseTa
Badges: 5
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hello,

When I was at Primary School in Year 3 we were all given an email account. It was a [name][number]@[localarea]lea.org email account. When we left Primary School, it carried on over to High School and then to Sixth Form. Throughout all this time (over 10 years) I used this email and my main one.

I finished Sixth Form in July and continued to use this email. However, the other day I used it and logged off (literally the last thing I did) then the next day I try to log into it again and it was coming up 'Authentication failed! Please try again.' I had no idea what this is so emailed who I thought was the email provider or something. No reply. Then I emailed another one who I thought was the email provider. They replied saying that 'All email accounts expire after leaving school. For more assistance contact your school.'

I have a few questions about this though:

1. How can an email account just 'expire'?

2. Is an expired email account deleted or does it still exist?

3. I find it hard to believe that they'd just lock us out of or delete our email addresses that we've had for over a decade with no warning.

I've asked them that in reply but they haven't responded so wondering if any of you at TSR might be able to help?

Thanks.
HelpMePleaseTa
Rep:
?
Anyone, I really need this?
parsn1p
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by HelpMePleaseTa)
Hello,

When I was at Primary School in Year 3 we were all given an email account. It was a [name][number]@[localarea]lea.org email account. When we left Primary School, it carried on over to High School and then to Sixth Form. Throughout all this time (over 10 years) I used this email and my main one.

I finished Sixth Form in July and continued to use this email. However, the other day I used it and logged off (literally the last thing I did) then the next day I try to log into it again and it was coming up 'Authentication failed! Please try again.' I had no idea what this is so emailed who I thought was the email provider or something. No reply. Then I emailed another one who I thought was the email provider. They replied saying that 'All email accounts expire after leaving school. For more assistance contact your school.'

I have a few questions about this though:

1. How can an email account just 'expire'?

2. Is an expired email account deleted or does it still exist?

3. I find it hard to believe that they'd just lock us out of or delete our email addresses that we've had for over a decade with no warning.

I've asked them that in reply but they haven't responded so wondering if any of you at TSR might be able to help?

Thanks.
What's the point in keeping the email address of someone after they've left? :dontknow:
InArduisFouette
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
fairly standard that when you leave an organisation the email account is locked then deleted after a period of time , education organisations are usually rather slower at this then commerical organisations, but realistically we are looking at 5 months since the end of the school year, and 2-3 months if they allowed people to keep accounts going until University start wetc because of UCAS

most people with an an ounce of common sense have one or more 'provider independent' email addresses ( e.g. outlook nee hotmail or gmail )
HelpMePleaseTa
Rep:
?
The email account isn't the school's though. This wasn't like '[email protected]' this was a local area thing that I just got in Primary school and even then it didn't have anything directly to do with that school as far as it seemed to me. Then I changed school and I still had it. While it used to be on a very specific login site it recently got transferred to Outlook (about 8 months ago or something) but I still needed to go through the school website to log in to it. I've tried logging in to it via Outlook but no luck.

Saying I'm an idiot or whatever, that it's common sense or I've made a mistake or something isn't productive and isn't helping me. I've got a problem, it doesn't matter whether it was me or whatever that caused this problem to occur, what matters now is I've got a problem and now all I want to do is solve it.

I've had this email for over a decade so, no, I didn't consider it common sense that it'd suddenly be deleted with no warning.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (208)
12.78%
Excited (144)
8.85%
Worried (295)
18.12%
Terrified (367)
22.54%
Meh (149)
9.15%
Confused (35)
2.15%