What is the best way to get into medicine? Watch

zaralexrab
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi guys! I am studying English, Biology and French at A-level and am predicted 3 A*s. I really want to study Medicine, but I do not take Chemistry. I am aware that there are foundation courses but these require me to take the UKCAT and unfortunately, I have not done this so would need to wait until next July. I was thinking of applying for undergraduate Environmental Science and then doing Graduate Medicine. Is this the best way to get into medicine? Are there any alternatives to this, or anything i could do at clearing? Should I consider a gap year?
Reality Check
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by zaralexrab)
Hi guys! I am studying English, Biology and French at A-level and am predicted 3 A*s. I really want to study Medicine, but I do not take Chemistry. I am aware that there are foundation courses but these require me to take the UKCAT and unfortunately, I have not done this so would need to wait until next July. I was thinking of applying for undergraduate Environmental Science and then doing Graduate Medicine. Is this the best way to get into medicine? Are there any alternatives to this, or anything i could do at clearing? Should I consider a gap year?
Accelerated courses for graduates are much more competitive and the funding arrangements aren't as good. Medicine doesn't enter clearing, so I don't know quite what you mean.

Your best chance would be to study the right A levels and apply as a standard entry school leaver.
HopelessMedic
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Some uni's only require Chem at AS level, so you could pick that up next year, although your choices of uni's will be limited.

You will have to wait until next year as the deadline has passed for this year, so foundation courses would be a good option.

Graduate entry is much more risky and at the moment isn't the best option for you.
TooSaltyRamen
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Trust me, without chemistry you would probably be totally unable to keep up with anything at medical school, and you'd find it very depressing. In the scheme of things, a year or two isn't long. Do chemistry, and apply the normal way. Its hard enough going that route, let alone trying another way. Theres a reason why unis unanimously want chemistry, because its essential.
Becca-Sarah
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by TooSaltyRamen)
Trust me, without chemistry you would probably be totally unable to keep up with anything at medical school, and you'd find it very depressing. In the scheme of things, a year or two isn't long. Do chemistry, and apply the normal way. Its hard enough going that route, let alone trying another way. Theres a reason why unis unanimously want chemistry, because its essential.
OP, ignore this.

You don't need the content of chemistry A Level to do medicine. Newcastle will still accept applicants without it providing they have A Level Biology and did GCSE Chem.
Dr Gin
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I disagree. Medical Education doesn't actually include vast amounts of chemistry so, whilst A level chemistry is a tough subject that helps med schools differentiate applicants and demonstrates a clear scientific ability, it is not pre-requisite to coping with the rigours of med school.

OP - If there aren't enough med schools that are an option for you then you could consider A-level chem over 1 year then conventional application but also look into the Biomed courses that have the possibility of transfer after year 1 for the highest achievers (a tough route to medicine but possibly preferable to the graduate gamble).
nexttime
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Are you even at medical school? :lolwut:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.19%
Worried (305)
17.96%
Terrified (378)
22.26%
Meh (162)
9.54%
Confused (37)
2.18%