Turn on thread page Beta

British punter places £200,000 bet on... watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Trump.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-07/p...n-us-election/

Incredibly brave, or incredibly stupid, it does seem this man is pretty damn certain of a Trump victory.

Betting companies have already slashed the Trump odds after a recent £37,000 bet.

ReputationRep:
    Didn't he get the gist of the consequence of betting? 🤔

ReputationRep:
    I've seen plenty of idiots get in the news doing stuff like this. If you can merrily afford to fritter away £200k on a bet, is £500k in winnings really going to make much of a difference to your life? If you can't afford it, well, you run a very high risk of being utterly shafted.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford to bet £200,000 on the outcome of the election, you can probably afford to lose that £200k if the result goes south.

ReputationRep:
    He's going to find himself in the money come Wednesday then.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Where is Reue when you need him?

Lot of money, but all relative. Didnt see what odds the person got. They could also very rich, so it might not even be that big a stake for him. It also doesnt state of the bet was placed after Comey made the latest investigation announcement.

There was someone who did a similar bet on Clinton, but this was before the investigation reopening was raised. She must have got crummy odds.

ReputationRep:
    Might just be a massive arb.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Trump.

http://www.itv.com/news/2016-11-07/p...n-us-election/

Incredibly brave, or incredibly stupid, it does seem this man is pretty damn certain of a Trump victory.

Betting companies have already slashed the Trump odds after a recent £37,000 bet.
    Clever man.
    http://www.270towin.com/maps/NeJwW

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    If you can afford to bet £200,000 on the outcome of the election, you can probably afford to lose that £200k if the result goes south.
    True lol

ReputationRep:
    Also hes an idiot for not betting it on the exchange

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Where is Reue when you need him?

Lot of money, but all relative. Didnt see what odds the person got. They could also very rich, so it might not even be that big a stake for him. It also doesnt state of the bet was placed after Comey made the latest investigation announcement.

There was someone who did a similar bet on Clinton, but this was before the investigation reopening was raised. She must have got crummy odds.
    Bet 100K on both, at different places (ensuring you at least get a 2:1 result) Worst case you square, best case you make money. I keep forgetting to do **** like this.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by The_Internet)
    Bet 100K on both, at different places (ensuring you at least get a 2:1 result) Worst case you square, best case you make money. I keep forgetting to do **** like this.
    Slight problem. You will not have gorren those odds on Clinton.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    Slight problem. You will not have gorren those odds on Clinton.
    Well you might at some places - I wouldn't do it if it wasn't risk free. If NO place gave those odds, then meh

ReputationRep:
    Its called dutching and is possible but nowhere near that kind of profit. Youd be lucky to skim off 0.1%. Plus theres a chance the arbed bookie will call a palp.
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    Well you might at some places - I wouldn't do it if it wasn't risk free. If NO place gave those odds, then meh
    I disagree. If you cna find soemwhere offering those odds then feel free to link.

ReputationRep:
    could be he's hoping as the hours get closer trump shortens so he can lay it. Risky though...

ReputationRep:
    yes i heard about this guy - a Mr V Putin

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.