Turn on thread page Beta

I have started my mock exams this week and have sat the first maths paper, which was non-calculator. I think I got around 50 marks out of 80. What grade would this be in the new 9-1 maths? I still have 2 more papers to sit which are both calculator exams could I still get a grade 5 overall if I do well in the next two papers?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JackT2000)
    I have started my mock exams this week and sit the first maths paper, which was non-calculator. I think I got around 50 marks out of 80. What grade would this be in the new 9-1 maths? I still have 2 more papers to sit which are both calculator exams could I still get a grade 5 overall if I do well in the next two papers?
    50/80 would almost definitely be a grade 6, if the exam is Higher tier. It could potentially be a grade 7, depending on how the majority find the paper, when it comes to June.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    50/80 would almost definitely be a grade 6, if the exam is Higher tier. It could potentially be a grade 7, depending on how the majority find the paper, when it comes to June.
    I'd think that the grade boundaries would be lower now that the new system with the new spec has been introduced.

(Original post by _gcx)
    There's only one thing....... it was a foundation paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fractite)
    I'd think that the grade boundaries would be lower now that the new system with the new spec has been introduced.
    I agree. I'm being deliberately conservative while estimating grades as to not "make promises", so to speak.

There's only one thing....... it was a foundation paper
    Ok, then 62% may be a 3 or 4, being conservative, potentially a good pass (5). A good pass, in this case a grade 5, on Foundation is typically around 70%, with a D typically being around 60%. (an E being 50, F 40, etc.) This is using for the boundaries for the old spec, note, and the actual boundaries may be lower. Using the notion that 70% is around a good pass, you'd need an average of 59/80 across both the calculator papers, if you're doing both. If you're only doing 1, you'd need around 62/80 to average 70%.

(Original post by _gcx)
    I agree. I'm being deliberately conservative while estimating grades as to not "make promises", so to speak.

Ok, then 62% may be a 3 or 4, being conservative, potentially a good pass (5). A good pass, in this case a grade 5, on Foundation is typically around 70%, with a D typically being around 60%. (an E being 50, F 40, etc.) This is using for the boundaries for the old spec, note, and the actual boundaries may be lower. Using the notion that 70% is around a good pass, you'd need an average of 59/80 across both the calculator papers, if you're doing both. If you're only doing 1, you'd need around 62/80 to average 70%.
    Ok thanks I have two more papers to sit which are both calculator papers. So how many marks will I need to get from each of the two papers to achieve a grade 5 overall?

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks I have two more papers to sit which are both calculator papers. So how many marks will I need to get from each of the two papers to achieve a grade 5 overall?
    As I said, you'd probably need around 59/80.

(Original post by _gcx)
    As I said, you'd probably need around 59/80.
    Thanks

Ps. Are you in year 11 as well? If you are are you on edexcel, if not what board? And also do you know where I can get a topic checklist for 9-1 foundation maths as I want to be able to keep track of my revision when it gets closer to the summer

ReputationRep:
    have you dine the english lit 9-1, i did it and i think i flopped, i hardly could remember the poem

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hello12356)
    have you dine the english lit 9-1, i did it and i think i flopped, i hardly could remember the poem
    I did the English lit too.Was the Christmas carol on scrooge as an outsider and lady Macbeth presented as a powerful woman?

ReputationRep:
    oh i think i did another one mine was on power and conflict and an inspector calls, did anyone else do an inspector calls?

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.