Turn on thread page Beta

Unable to terminate tenancy contract after dropping out of uni watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the verge of dropping out of uni and Ive spoken to my accomodation about what happens to my tenancy contract if i drop out. They said im still liable for my room and need to pay rent for the whole year or find a replacement who's gonna take over my tenancy. However on the contract it says "The Landlord may terminate the Tenancy Period early by giving at least 2 months prior written notice to the Tenant if
    (a) the Room or Shared Area is destroyed or made uninhabitable or inaccessible by fire or other event, and reinstatement has not occurred within 2 months; or (b) I cease to be a student in higher education; .

What should I do next? Please any suggestions or advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_777)
    I'm on the verge of dropping out of uni and Ive spoken to my accomodation about what happens to my tenancy contract if i drop out. They said im still liable for my room and need to pay rent for the whole year or find a replacement who's gonna take over my tenancy. However on the contract it says "The Landlord may terminate the Tenancy Period early by giving at least 2 months prior written notice to the Tenant if
    (a) the Room or Shared Area is destroyed or made uninhabitable or inaccessible by fire or other event, and reinstatement has not occurred within 2 months; or (b) I cease to be a student in higher education; .

What should I do next? Please any suggestions or advice
    Talk to your Student Union, who will know the wrinkles.

Be aware that your contractual obligations are not the same as the Landlord's. Just because they terminate the contract due to you no longer being a student, won't mean that you no longer have an obligation to pay rent for the full term of the original contract. They're two different aspects of the same situation.

Your SU's Housing Officer will know the drill - you won't be the first person in this situation by a long chalk.

ReputationRep:
    Could u find a replacement on spare room or easy roommate?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PrinceHarrys)
    Could u find a replacement on spare room or easy roommate?
    I justed posted an advert on both sites, not sure if I wil find anyone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klix88)
    Talk to your Student Union, who will know the wrinkles.

Be aware that your contractual obligations are not the same as the Landlord's. Just because they terminate the contract due to you no longer being a student, won't mean that you no longer have an obligation to pay rent for the full term of the original contract. They're two different aspects of the same situation.

Your SU's Housing Officer will know the drill - you won't be the first person in this situation by a long chalk.
    I will speak with them tomorrow, thanks for the advice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mark_777)
    I justed posted an advert on both sites, not sure if I wil find anyone
    Try your uni FB groups as well. Gl. And go to the SU like klix said :yep:

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty normal. I would expect to have to keep paying,if you find a replacement then that's a bonus.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.