Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,I am currently in year 13 in a relatively small sixth form, studying English literature, Psychology and As Mathematics as well as completing an EPQ. Due to unfortunately not getting the required grade last year in As maths I have had to resit. This means that I need to work hard to gain good grades in order to get into university(like everyone else). But here's the situation my mum and Dad obviously want the best for me and have decided that I need to start a shed load of revision. I'm talking getting home from school at half three and revising non stop till 8:30. and on weekends doing at least 4 hours of work. Now I know most of you are going to say things like be thankful I have pushy parents etc and how that's the equivalent of what you do , but I'm finding it rather difficult to keep calm when I have what I think is quite a lot of pressure on me. This revision/extra work is prohibiting me from doing things a kid of my age would be out doing, for example I have seen a lot less of my gf recently as I work weekends too( I'm a self employed handyman/gardenerXD ) and I'm just finding it quite stressful I should also mention that I have a few diagnosed mental health issues that make me quite susceptible to anxiety and stress. Is anyone in the same boat or does anyone have any advice

ReputationRep:
    with the parents on this one unlike the last post I made
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    What do you want to do?
    What grades have you achieved and what do you need?
    Have you tried to talk to them about it?
    Have you talked to your teachers?
    Are you improving?
    Is there any flexibility?
    Do you think toy would do better in exams without the extra revision?

Talk to your Dr, teachers and then parents?

Presumably if you improve, then they will ease off?

If it has mental health implications then warn them you cant take it.

You could get up an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    What do you want to do?
    What grades have you achieved and what do you need?
    Have you tried to talk to them about it?
    Have you talked to your teachers?
    Are you improving?
    Is there any flexibility?
    Do you think toy would do better in exams without the extra revision?

Talk to your Dr, teachers and then parents?

Presumably if you improve, then they will ease off?

If it has mental health implications then warn them you cant take it.

You could get up an hour earlier and finish an hour earlier.
    I need B's all round to get in to university , but they're pretty set on this timetable and theres no kind of flexibility , i have spoke to others about it but it always comes back to my Mum and Dad saying 'if you want to screw up your education then sure' which i feel is like a guilt trip for me . i can see improvement but they wont ease off until exams are over which are in june also i cannot get up an hour early as i get up at six to get ready and catcatch the bus at 7:30
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HYPERIZEDx)
    I need B's all round to get in to university , but they're pretty set on this timetable and theres no kind of flexibility , i have spoke to others about it but it always comes back to my Mum and Dad saying 'if you want to screw up your education then sure' which i feel is like a guilt trip for me . i can see improvement but they wont ease off until exams are over which are in june also i cannot get up an hour early as i get up at six to get ready and catcatch the bus at 7:30
    What grades are you getting at the moment?

Work out a new timetable. I cant see how they can fix one for you, unless they are teaching you? Did they go to Uni/ in professional jobs?
    Whats your intended subject or career?

You have to negotiate. The only thing id be worried about (besides being able to organise my own time) is your gf and making sure you had enough time for her.

You have to work out what you are capable of, what it takes to get to uni and how much work that will require. Its up to you. I guarantee that come results day there will be plenty on herer who wished they had worked harder. I would think if you catch up then they will back off a bit.

ReputationRep:
    What grades are you getting at the moment?

Work out a new timetable. I cant see how they can fix one for you, unless they are teaching you? Did they go to Uni/ in professional jobs?
    Whats your intended subject or career?

You have to negotiate. The only thing id be worried about (besides being able to organise my own time) is your gf and making sure you had enough time for her.

You have to work out what you are capable of, what it takes to get to uni and how much work that will require. Its up to you. I guarantee that come results day there will be plenty on herer who wished they had worked harder. I would think if you catch up then they will back off a bit.
    thats one of my main worries about loosing her but i guess ill give it a go with negotiation, i intend to go into teaching primary and at the moment im acheiving high c's low b's
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    (Original post by HYPERIZEDx)
    thats one of my main worries about loosing her but i guess ill give it a go with negotiation, i intend to go into teaching primary and at the moment im acheiving high c's low b's
    Did your parents go to uni? Is it cultural?

If you cna show them you will succeed and cna eb trusted, then they are more likely to compromise. I dont think their requirements are that great although a little climsy.

Talk to your gf as well.

ReputationRep:
    Did your parents go to uni? Is it cultural?

If you cna show them you will succeed and cna eb trusted, then they are more likely to compromise. I dont think their requirements are that great although a little climsy.

Talk to your gf as well.
    only my mum went to uni but it depends where i go but i will talk to both thanks for advice
    • Very Important Poster

Very Important Poster
    You only give parial answers so its hard to sense how its working. In most cases they are only imposing becayse they are scared for your future. You cna negotiate and reassure them to work out something you can live with. You need to show you can get thre grades though.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.