Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,I am currently in year 13 in a relatively small sixth form, studying English literature, Psychology and As Mathematics as well as completing an EPQ. Due to unfortunately not getting the required grade last year in As maths I have had to resit. This means that I need to work hard to gain good grades in order to get into university(like everyone else). But here's the situation my mum and Dad obviously want the best for me and have decided that I need to start a shed load of revision. I'm talking getting home from school at half three and revising non stop till 8:30. and on weekends doing at least 4 hours of work. Now I know most of you are going to say things like be thankful I have pushy parents etc and how that's the equivalent of what you do , but I'm finding it rather difficult to keep calm when I have what I think is quite a lot of pressure on me. This revision/extra work is prohibiting me from doing things a kid of my age would be out doing, for example I have seen a lot less of my gf recently as I work weekends too( I'm a self employed handyman/gardenerXD ) and I'm just finding it quite stressful I should also mention that I have a few diagnosed mental health issues that make me quite susceptible to anxiety and stress. Is anyone in the same boat or does anyone have any advice
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Very Important Poster
    Peer Support Volunteers
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by HYPERIZEDx)
    Hi guys,I am currently in year 13 in a relatively small sixth form, studying English literature, Psychology and As Mathematics as well as completing an EPQ. Due to unfortunately not getting the required grade last year in As maths I have had to resit. This means that I need to work hard to gain good grades in order to get into university(like everyone else). But here's the situation my mum and Dad obviously want the best for me and have decided that I need to start a shed load of revision. I'm talking getting home from school at half three and revising non stop till 8:30. and on weekends doing at least 4 hours of work. Now I know most of you are going to say things like be thankful I have pushy parents etc and how that's the equivalent of what you do , but I'm finding it rather difficult to keep calm when I have what I think is quite a lot of pressure on me. This revision/extra work is prohibiting me from doing things a kid of my age would be out doing, for example I have seen a lot less of my gf recently as I work weekends too( I'm a self employed handyman/gardenerXD ) and I'm just finding it quite stressful I should also mention that I have a few diagnosed mental health issues that make me quite susceptible to anxiety and stress. Is anyone in the same boat or does anyone have any advice
    You certainly wouldn't be the only person sticking to that kind of schedule, but if it's too much for you just explain. Explain to them that you've tried it, but you're not studying very well because it's too much for you and you need to cut down a bit. Maybe let them help you come up with your own timetable that suits you a bit more?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chelseadagg3r)
    You certainly wouldn't be the only person sticking to that kind of schedule, but if it's too much for you just explain. Explain to them that you've tried it, but you're not studying very well because it's too much for you and you need to cut down a bit. Maybe let them help you come up with your own timetable that suits you a bit more?
    that sounds like Aa good idea ill give it a try thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the exact same boat as you.
    We both just need to stick the paddles in and get on rowing.
    Everyone says that it'll get easier once you get into the swing of it so customise your workload of revision to suit you. Not too much to overload you but enough so you're hitting that target grade - it's really not always as much work as you think, all in all.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.