Turn on thread page Beta

Who decides what is right and wrong? watch

ReputationRep:
    It is very subjective. And just because the majority of people think it is right that means nothing. The majority of people thought it was right to own slaves 300 years ago so does that mean it was right back then?

Thats why i laugh at people who say it doesn't matter what environment you live in- you should still know what is right and wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tgrue)
    It is very subjective. And just because the majority of people think it is right that means nothing. The majority of people thought it was right to own slaves 300 years ago so does that mean it was right back then?

Thats why i laugh at people who say it doesn't matter what environment you live in- you should still know what is right and wrong.
    How the **** are these two points supposed to work together, friend?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Retired_Messiah)
    How the **** are these two points supposed to work together, friend?
    I am not saying it I was just pointing out that people say' you should know what is right and wrong despite how you're brought up'.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    You've lost me a bit.

But to answer your question - noone. There isn't a singular source of morality. We tend to share certain societal values and use our own intuition and reasoning to come to come to a decision about our common values. But I subscribe to Sam Harris' views that by assuming that improved well-being is good, rationality can be used to construct moral codes.

ReputationRep:
    a lot of people would say religion but i feel like even if i wasn't religious i'd know killing people is wrong lol
    although there is the thing of being given a conscience by God - the 'gut' instinct
    :dontknow: who knows lol

ReputationRep:
    "War does not determine who is right, only who is left."

ReputationRep:
    Me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    You've lost me a bit.

But to answer your question - noone. There isn't a singular source of morality. We tend to share certain societal values and use our own intuition and reasoning to come to come to a decision about our common values. But I subscribe to Sam Harris' views that by assuming that improved well-being is good, rationality can be used to construct moral codes.
    Basically what I am saying is- what most people see as right and wrong depends on the society they were born into. Every society is a form of indoctrination.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    (Original post by tgrue)
    Basically what I am saying is- what most people see as right and wrong depends on the society they were born into. Every society is a form of indoctrination.
    None of us are free from societal influence but indoctrination usually involves inculcating people with a belief which they accept non-critically. We're free to challenge the moral values that society dictates.

But I understand your perspective.

ReputationRep:
    I do, next question

ReputationRep:
    God? :dontknow:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Will you be tempted to trade up and get out of your firm offer on results day?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.