Uni12345678
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Name:  IMG_1076.PNG
Views: 93
Size:  44.5 KBWhat would the name of this compound be?
d010534
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
propyl-amine
Uni12345678
Rep:
?
(Original post by d010534)
propyl-amine
Thanjs
Kallisto
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Uni12345678)
Name:  IMG_1076.PNG
Views: 93
Size:  44.5 KBWhat would the name of this compound be?
It is a molecule which consists of a propyl group (C3H7) and an amino group (NH2). That is why the name (better: nomenclature) is propyl-amine.
Uni12345678
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
It is a molecule which consists of a propyl group (C3H6(H)) and an amino group (NH2). That is why the name (better: nomenclature) is propyl-amine.
Thank you very informative
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thank you very informative
You are welcome. To get the name out of a molecule, here are some clues:

1.) determine the substance (Alkane, Alkene, alcohol...).
2.) determine the functional groups (like NH2 group) and the atoms which are bound to the molecule as compound.
3.) determine the number of the functional groups and atoms in the molecule.
4.) determine their positions on C-atoms (are they bound to the first, second or third C-Atom?)

After following the step, it is not so difficult to get the nomenclature out anylonger.

Example: CH2Cl2

Substance: methane
Atoms: chlorine atoms
Number: two
Position: first C-Atom (the molecule contains just one C-Atom only).

Name: Dichlormethane
Uni12345678
Rep:
?
(Original post by Kallisto)
You are welcome. To get the name out of a molecule, here are some clues:

1.) determine the substance (Alkane, Alkene, alcohol...).
2.) determine the functional groups (like NH2 group) and the atoms which are bound to the molecule as compound.
3.) determine the number of the functional groups and atoms in the molecule.
4.) determine their positions on C-atoms (are they bound to the first, second or third C-Atom?)

After following the step, it is not so difficult to get the nomenclature out anylonger.

Example: CH2Cl2

Substance: methane
Atoms: chlorine atoms
Number: two
Position: first C-Atom (the molecule contains just one C-Atom only).

Name: Dichlormethane
Thanks it's just that I was getting confused with how to remember so many names as I am currently studying the a level topics on carbonyls and there are many reactions with substances that contain nitrogen atoms, and initially I was struggling to name them because there's nitriles, amines, amides, etc and then there's names of esters and carboxylate salts and argh there's so much haha
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks it's just that I was getting confused with how to remember so many names as I am currently studying the a level topics on carbonyls and there are many reactions with substances that contain nitrogen atoms, and initially I was struggling to name them because there's nitriles, amines, amides, etc and then there's names of esters and carboxylate salts and argh there's so much haha
It is confused at the beginning, I will give you that. had the same problems. If you keep trying, it is getting better from time to time. As a former student who had chemisty taken as A levels, I reassure you: it is not the most important one to recognise the names, but to understand and to reason the reactions in turn.

It is just whenever I saw a molecule which is not so familar to me, I was using the rules for nomenclature to name the molecule. Imagine: you have to explain reaction steps without being able to name the molecule...
Kvothe the Arcane
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The preferred IUPAC name is actually propan-1-amine.
sleepysnooze
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
you're right - when reading the first replies I became quite confused, but you at least reassured me that it isn't simply "propyl-amine" seeing as there needs to be some account of the location of the amine
Kallisto
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
Right! I didn't pay attention to that till you mentioned. You have a good subtetly, I will give you that.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Should there be a new university admissions system that ditches predicted grades?

No, I think predicted grades should still be used to make offers (511)
33.71%
Yes, I like the idea of applying to uni after I received my grades (PQA) (627)
41.36%
Yes, I like the idea of receiving offers only after I receive my grades (PQO) (309)
20.38%
I think there is a better option than the ones suggested (let us know in the thread!) (69)
4.55%

Watched Threads