Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Name:  IMG_1076.PNG
Views: 45
Size:  44.5 KBWhat would the name of this compound be?

ReputationRep:
    propyl-amine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by d010534)
    propyl-amine
    Thanjs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Uni12345678)
    Name:  IMG_1076.PNG
Views: 45
Size:  44.5 KBWhat would the name of this compound be?
    It is a molecule which consists of a propyl group (C3H7) and an amino group (NH2). That is why the name (better: nomenclature) is propyl-amine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    It is a molecule which consists of a propyl group (C3H6(H)) and an amino group (NH2). That is why the name (better: nomenclature) is propyl-amine.
    Thank you very informative
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thank you very informative
    You are welcome. To get the name out of a molecule, here are some clues:

1.) determine the substance (Alkane, Alkene, alcohol...).
    2.) determine the functional groups (like NH2 group) and the atoms which are bound to the molecule as compound.
    3.) determine the number of the functional groups and atoms in the molecule.
    4.) determine their positions on C-atoms (are they bound to the first, second or third C-Atom?)

After following the step, it is not so difficult to get the nomenclature out anylonger.

Example: CH2Cl2

Substance: methane
    Atoms: chlorine atoms
    Number: two
    Position: first C-Atom (the molecule contains just one C-Atom only).

Name: Dichlormethane

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kallisto)
    You are welcome. To get the name out of a molecule, here are some clues:

1.) determine the substance (Alkane, Alkene, alcohol...).
    2.) determine the functional groups (like NH2 group) and the atoms which are bound to the molecule as compound.
    3.) determine the number of the functional groups and atoms in the molecule.
    4.) determine their positions on C-atoms (are they bound to the first, second or third C-Atom?)

After following the step, it is not so difficult to get the nomenclature out anylonger.

Example: CH2Cl2

Substance: methane
    Atoms: chlorine atoms
    Number: two
    Position: first C-Atom (the molecule contains just one C-Atom only).

Name: Dichlormethane
    Thanks it's just that I was getting confused with how to remember so many names as I am currently studying the a level topics on carbonyls and there are many reactions with substances that contain nitrogen atoms, and initially I was struggling to name them because there's nitriles, amines, amides, etc and then there's names of esters and carboxylate salts and argh there's so much haha
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Thanks it's just that I was getting confused with how to remember so many names as I am currently studying the a level topics on carbonyls and there are many reactions with substances that contain nitrogen atoms, and initially I was struggling to name them because there's nitriles, amines, amides, etc and then there's names of esters and carboxylate salts and argh there's so much haha
    It is confused at the beginning, I will give you that. had the same problems. If you keep trying, it is getting better from time to time. As a former student who had chemisty taken as A levels, I reassure you: it is not the most important one to recognise the names, but to understand and to reason the reactions in turn.

It is just whenever I saw a molecule which is not so familar to me, I was using the rules for nomenclature to name the molecule. Imagine: you have to explain reaction steps without being able to name the molecule...
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Very Important Poster
    The preferred IUPAC name is actually propan-1-amine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    you're right - when reading the first replies I became quite confused, but you at least reassured me that it isn't simply "propyl-amine" seeing as there needs to be some account of the location of the amine
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Kvothe the Arcane)
    Right! I didn't pay attention to that till you mentioned. You have a good subtetly, I will give you that.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.