Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    i wrote a whole paragraph before but it got deleted (i forgot to log in) but basically look in to bio medicine cuz my cousin (who has done the uni course and has a profession in it) has said its easy and interesting and cuz my family think imma fail im MY plans to be a doctor (im in yr11) and lets say its caused some low self esteem so i now think i have no chance but i think we can both do it!! we just need motivation and to keep on going and defy the odds!!!

ReputationRep:
    If you do well on your A-levels you will save about £40,000 in loans by skipping a degree. Plus you will be younger when you graduate from medicine and start earning quicker, begin progressing in your career sooner, and have slightly more flexibility when it comes to creating a family.

You will also apply in a less competitive cohort, where there are more spaces per applicant compared to graduate entry.

You only need to focus on UKCAT or BMAT and don't have to score so highly (at least in the UKCAT) to be considered for entry. Alongside this you wont ever have to sit the GAMSAT which requires A-level knowledge of the sciences anyway.

Just because GEM exists doesn't mean it should be something you aim for. It should be something you should aim to AVOID. If I had my time again I would have certainly done everything within my power to get onto a 5 year undergrad course - but I didn't want to do medicine when I was in school/college.

ReputationRep:
    I wpuld drop further maths now so you can concentrate more on the other 3. Your GCSEs are on the;low side which does sometimes correlate with getting lower grades in A levels but not necessarily. Would your family pay for a tutor so you have that one to one time to go through the work you are not understanding in lessons?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhelen)
    I wpuld drop further maths now so you can concentrate more on the other 3. Your GCSEs are on the;low side which does sometimes correlate with getting lower grades in A levels but not necessarily. Would your family pay for a tutor so you have that one to one time to go through the work you are not understanding in lessons?

Yeah they would do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by medi-geek123)
    Hi there, I'm in my first year of college studying for AS Levels. I'm doing Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Further Maths. I plan to drop Further Maths at A2. I got GCSE grades 2A's, 5B's and 1C.

I'm finding A-levels tough and the workload is really putting me down. I want to do Medicine and it has been my life long dream, but I really need help on how I'm going to achieve AAA at A Levels.
    Drop further maths and go with bio Chem and single maths, do awesome in those at AS (get good A2 predictions) and then do well in the ukcat and/or bmat and apply to non gcse heavy unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I got pretty high GCSEs and despite my efforts my grades for A-levels aren't high enough for Medicine and I didn't UKCAT (I didn't realise til too late). So plan early- check all entry requirements for the unis you want to go to. UKCAT exams are normally straight after summer exams so remember to revise for that as well. Do loads of past papers especially for chemistry and hopefully you'll ace it. Good luck!!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.