Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I'm interested in doing the course Economics and Finance. The universities I am interested in are ranked between 30-50 and I was wondering does this automatically affect my chances of employment afterwards?

I'm not so sure what I wanna do after university, but i'm slightly interested in the finance/banking sector, or something along those lines...

Thank you!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The banking sector does take into consideration the university you studied at especially if you want to go into investment banking. But you still have a chance of employment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rt6f)
    The banking sector does take into consideration the university you studied at especially if you want to go into investment banking. But you still have a chance of employment.
    I've also wondered if someone was to come out with a 1st from Leicester or so, compared to a 2:2 from UCL who would have the upper hand?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I've also wondered if someone was to come out with a 1st from Leicester or so, compared to a 2:2 from UCL who would have the upper hand?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I'd say Leicester might just edge it, but UCL might win out if they had killer work experience. The UCL applicant also probably has better A-level grades.

This is for investment banking btw.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    I'd say Leicester might just edge it, but UCL might win out if they had killer work experience. The UCL applicant also probably has better A-level grades.

This is for investment banking btw.
    I'm guessing since people are talking about it, it's a top end job in the banking sector?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bhfn)
    I'm guessing since people are talking about it, it's a top end job in the banking sector?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yep it's the most competitive area of banking where you get loadsamoney. Normally to be in with a chance you'd have to have at least a 2.1 from 6 'target' universities: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, ICL, and Warwick. You also need to really start doing internships in your first and second years of university to be in with a chance.

So yeah it's super competitive. But also super long hours. Your job becomes your life and you'll spend multiple nights at the office in a row without going home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Abstract_Prism)
    Yep it's the most competitive area of banking where you get loadsamoney. Normally to be in with a chance you'd have to have at least a 2.1 from 6 'target' universities: Oxbridge, LSE, UCL, ICL, and Warwick. You also need to really start doing internships in your first and second years of university to be in with a chance.

So yeah it's super competitive. But also super long hours. Your job becomes your life and you'll spend multiple nights at the office in a row without going home.
    ah right, doesn't really sound appealing to me

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    The Leicester graduate will have the upper hand, you need a 2.1 at least to go into IB(Front office). Therefore the UCL graduate would be filtered out in the first round.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. London Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  2. Edge Hill University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 18 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.