Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically the title.😬

ReputationRep:
    All difficult to get in to. Here's the defiinitive guide to the respective careers:

Medicine: Maximum career credibility, just like Casualty, fantastic arrogance and salary once you reach consultant, may marry a nurse
    Dentistry: Back ache, working in disguisting cramped mouths, arsey dental assistants, sued at every heel and turn
    Optometry: Low stress, some clinical credibility, reasonable pay, might get a bit tedious saying clearer with one or clearer with 2 plus you could still end up in jail for missing something

Go for medicine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zarek)
    All difficult to get in to. Here's the defiinitive guide to the respective careers:

Medicine: Maximum career credibility, just like Casualty, fantastic arrogance and salary once you reach consultant, may marry a nurse
    Dentistry: Back ache, working in disguisting cramped mouths, arsey dental assistants, sued at every heel and turn
    Optometry: Low stress, some clinical credibility, reasonable pay, might get a bit tedious saying clearer with one or clearer with 2 plus you could still end up in jail for missing something

Go for medicine
    LMAO wtf, you can get sued with all three though but this made me lol

ReputationRep:
    But honestly it depends on your grades ngl so dont stress yet, wait till you've slayed your exams. x
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zarek)

Go for medicine
    Do you have an idea what the pay is? I've heard a lot of people on TSR complaining about the career in Optometry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by honour)
    Do you have an idea what the pay is? I've heard a lot of people on TSR complaining about the career in Optometry
    ~£40k once established. Not bad for a relatively pleasant clinical role
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    (Original post by Zarek)
    ~£40k once established. Not bad for a relatively pleasant clinical role
    Yes that's what I thought. Do get paid lower if you work for the NHS, do you know?

ReputationRep:
    Yes that's what I thought. Do get paid lower if you work for the NHS, do you know?
    Dont really know the details to be honest, you would have to do a bit of Googling or browse a careers book in Waterstones.

ReputationRep:
    You start out with a low pay somewhere around 20k but if you progress and move up bands it can be >40k

ReputationRep:
    u guys should go on to the website u-explore.com
    Its fantastic . Signup and u will love it because u can search different careers and they have loads of information

ReputationRep:
    im interested in optometry and i had a few questions

ReputationRep:
    I'm a third year optom student, I have enjoyed Optometry, but I have applied for Medicine this year! Let me put it as basic as I can if you love a hospital environment (as I have found working in an Ophthalmology clinic) then go for Medicine honestly. But Optom isn't bad and I have learnt invaluable skills! Also the first reply pretty much hit it on the head!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 16, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.