Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I have been struggling with myself with quite a hard decision ever since the AS Grades were given out. I got AACC . I was thinking of applying to Cambridge for Classics and I am taking up Greek AS level next year.

However the guy in charge of my Greek AS and my references and CAF has said that I can only do one or the other. Apply to Cambridge or do Greek. On top of this I'm doing an AEA in English as well. I got 5A*'s and 6A's at GCSE.

I'm having real trouble deciding which to do. I wouldn't mind not applying to Cambridge, if I could re-apply next year, but due to my choice of career and a scholarship I have, I have to got to Uni and the work ASAP. It's not that I think I have loads of chance of getting in, but I really want the experience. On the other hand, I really love Greek and don't want to pass up this opportunity either!

So does anyone have any ideas of how I should go about it? Any advice would be MUCH appreciated as I am really stuck atm!

ReputationRep:
    Can't you do the Greek AS outside of your college? Perhaps as an evening course/OU type thing?

ReputationRep:
    personally i'd apply to cambridge for the four year classics course. you'd still get the greek training, you'd just have to wait a year -- and it fits with your need to get to uni/work ASAP.

you could do the course outside of college, of course, but i'd imagine the guy saying you can only do one or the other is telling you it for a reason; it's a lot to take on (particularly if you keep on all four ASs) and he probably just wants to give you the best chance at applying.

ReputationRep:
    No, i am doing it outside of school! He's teaching me privately for free cos' I can't afford to pay and my school doesn't offer it! But he is my old classics teacher(just left) and is in charge of my reference.
    I got an A at Latin As level, i'm just doing Greek as well because I thought it would help me with applying to Cambridge and because I quite like it!:p:
    And i am dropping one of my AS's. If i didn't i might explode(it's maths:hmpf: lol!)
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    ah, i see -- maybe in that case it's best to ask him why he won't allow you to do both? if he says it's to do with the workload, then it that case, i think that's fair enough -- three full a levels, plus english aea, plus an extra language at as level is a lot.

i think it really depends how much you want cambridge -- that kind of workload does seem pretty steep, and it's possible that you might find it less stressful and thus do better with just three a levels and the english aea; therefore, perhaps it might be better to not do greek. however, if you want to do the greek as level more than you want cambridge, then do greek and apply to other institutions.

your other option is, if you find out why he won't let you do both, to try and persuade him to let you. prove your commitment to doing both greek as and applying to cambridge.

or, alternatively, you could try to find another referee, such as your head of college/sixth form?

ReputationRep:
    I think i might try persuading(read: tying to a chair and threatening) him and then see how it goes from there! thanks for your help though!

ReputationRep:
    best of luck!

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.