Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any sources I could use? It has to be an investigation of how mass affects friction. I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can only find one (bbc bitesize). The rest either investigate both static and kinetic (that's too complicated) or they have weird, not comprehendable methods. This is for tomorrow.

PS: AQA, GCSE

[EDIT] I managed to find the sources and everything went well. For biology our teacher gave us sources but for my physics teacher did not. She practically gave us no information. :/

BobBobson Our teacher told us not to worry about static and kinetic forces.

[EDIT]: As this was ages ago, I can't remember any details about the paper. Sorry to those who are taking it now. The whole class failed way below their target grades so I would be of no use anyway (and we are all in set 1). Don't let that bring you down. I'm sure you'll be fine if your teachers were half as good as mine.

ReputationRep:
    what do you mean by saying static and kinetic friction is too complicated? They're just fancy words for saying stationary (not moving) and moving.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alextheowl)
    Does anyone have any sources I could use? It has to be an investigation of how mass affects friction. I've looked EVERYWHERE and I can only find one (bbc bitesize). The rest either investigate both static and kinetic (that's too complicated) or they have weird, not comprehendable methods. This is for tomorrow.

your teacher gives your sources

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CraigBackner)
    your teacher gives your sources
    Not all schools do

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

[EDIT] I managed to find the sources and everything went well. For biology our teacher gave us sources but for my physics teacher did not. She practically gave us no information. :/

what a *****, just remember school shootings are illegal

ReputationRep:

Use this website i did it for my GCSE isa and i got 50/50 (for chem) and 49/50 (for physics and bio) in all of them http://www.gcsesciencemethods.co.uk

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vali7654321)
    Use this website i did it for my GCSE isa and i got 50/50 (for chem) and 49/50 (for physics and bio) in all of them http://www.gcsesciencemethods.co.uk
    https://crypt-physics.wikispaces.com...+out+of+50.pdf here you go i think this is what ur looking for =)

ReputationRep:

-
    -
    -
    I have the same ISA tomorrow can you give me some guidance, im so stuck, my teacher gave us hardly anything to work from.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JaySch)
    how was it? ive got mine next week and very stuck right now
    First of all obviously i cant tell you about anything specifically because that would be cheating but i can give you guidance.
    Dont worry at all about section one its pretty much identical to other isa papers (this is usually the case anyway) theres not really anything out of the ordinary, question 4 is a bit different but dont stress about it, even if you havent specifically prepared for it you'll still be able to do it because its pretty straighforward.
    Section 2 again isnt difficult,first few questions were the usual ones that you get and then the case study questions are just common sense, just make sure to look through the data you're given carefully.
    Also this doesnt have to do with any of the questions specifically but make sure you understand the context of the experiment because i struggled with this. If you dont get it then just ask your teacher about it next lesson or even during the advice/revision period before your isa. Im sure your teacher will have already told you about this but remember not to use weight and mass interchangably, pick one to use in your hypothesis, method etc and stick with it in your practical and throughout both sections, you may get marked down if you dont do this.
    Anyway, good luck! and dont worry too much about it, it was much easier than i anticipated. Let me know how it goes.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much. For my context I wrote about how a trainer company would make their trainers not weigh so much so that there is less friction and therefore requires less force to lift it from athletes. I also said how ice skates would be made a little heavier so that there is more friction in order for there to be more grip on the slippery surface. What do you think?
    Also what should I pick between weight and mass...
    context sounds good although make sure to double check with your teacher before just in case, i would pick weight because then you dont need to worry about grams you can just stick to newtons for measuring both the IV(weight) and DV(frictional force).

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the help! What methods did u use from online?
    http://www.markedbyteachers.com/gcse...e-surface.html

https://www.school-portal.co.uk/Grou...urceId=5065332

would definately use the second one ive listed, its very straightforward and it gives you a diagram. first one gives you a ton of information that you dont really need so if you have another source that you think is better by all means use that. Tbh I only really used the method from the second link but i just said i used the other one too because as you know, you have to give 2 or more sources.

ReputationRep:
    The second link is very good, thanks for that. Im just abit confused with the chart it gives coz it uses both 'mass' and 'weight' in it which just confuses me. What was your risk assessment?
    thanks for all this help btw - my teachers have been really unhelpful for this ISA
    the chart with both mass and weight is basically just giving a conversion if that makes sense, think of it as comparing 2 units like miles and kilometres in 2 coloums to make it less confusing. but anyway you wont need to draw a table with both units in the exam so dont worry about it.
    for the risk assessment i just said that the weights and scissors (used to cut string that connected newton meter to the 'sled' were both hazards, i couldnt really think of anything else because its a pretty simple experiment. the rest of the risk assessment (the risk that the hazard poses, measures that can be taken to reduce the risk and level of risk) should be pretty straightforward but send a message if youre still unsure.
    I totally understand the stress of having unhelpful teachers. our teacher shows absolutely no enthusiasm when teaching and is overall not a very good teacher, she clearly knows the subject well but she just cant teach. we were originally going to have our ISA back in january but they had to postpone it for some reason and my class didnt really get any preperation time. we had mocks in feb then half term and then the ISA last thursday and we didnt have a physics lesson after we came back before the ISA so you can imagine how stressed my class was. All i can say is dont stress about it, youll realise after you do the papers that its not that bad, trust me its much easier than you think its going to be.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.