Flatmates ruining uni experience. Watch

dont
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
So I've been at uni for 2 months now and I don't really get on with my flatmates. I never really see them too much, they seem to spend most time in their rooms. When I do see them they don't seem to want to do anything. I get that not everyone wants to go out clubbing and such but in a flat of 6 I would of expected one other person to. What makes it worse is that I see photos on FB of my friends from my course with their flatmates and they all seem really close. They do their weekly shop together, go out clubbing ect. I was the only one who went out on Halloween whilst my flat stayed in. As well as this if they do end up doing anything together they tend to exclude me. Another thing that annoys me about them is that they use my cooking utensils with out asking and never clean them up straight after so I have to wash them up if I want to use them. I've already decided I'm not goanna live with them next year but I think this will leave me without anyone to live with as all my friends are staying with their flatmates. I'm thinking about trying to move to another flat but I feel this will be awkward as we are almost done with the first semester. I'm not sure what to do, I don't want to spend my first year of uni hardly seeing anyone in my flat.
alleycat393
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
It is a difficult situation and I'm sorry you're in it but remember that you can't get on with and please everyone. It sounds like you do have friends outside of your flat as you do go out. Have you joined any clubs or societies to make more friends and meet people with similar interests? Ask around about living with other people and you may find people to live with next year. Re: people using your stuff, it is annoying and you can try and put your stuff in your room so only you have access to it and if you see someone using your stuff say something to them politely but firmly.
doodle_333
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
If the kitchen utensil thing bothers you keep your stuff in your room

as for being sociable, some people just aren't, chat to a friend on your course and say your flat is dead could they send you an invite if they go out... same goes for flats next year, pick someone you get on with and ask if there's any chance you can live with them + their mates
Trinculo
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There's not much you can do about it, really. If you think about it - it's not really that much different from one of them being stuck in a flat with 5 complete animals then coming on TSR to say that their uni experience is being ruined by people just going nuts all the time.

What do they actually do? Just actually stay in their rooms? Doing nothing? If so, I don't think there's anywhere to go with that. I personally found that people are much closer to their course or sports/soc friends anyway, and go out with them more. I don't live in halls - but a friend of mine who does never goes out with his flatmates (he's a postgrad and they're all fresh) but they have a reasonable relationship and he goes out with his other friends all the time.

Just kind of accept it and start quickly thinking about who you're going to live with next year
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (214)
12.6%
Excited (156)
9.19%
Worried (305)
17.96%
Terrified (378)
22.26%
Meh (162)
9.54%
Confused (37)
2.18%
Putting on a brave face (233)
13.72%
Impatient (213)
12.54%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise