Turn on thread page Beta

( Sum to infinity of a divisor function ) ^{2} simplify expression watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have  120 \sum \limits_1^\infty (\sigma_{3}(n))^{2} , where  \sigma_{3}(n) is the divisor function.

And I want to show that this can be written as  120\sum \limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \sigma_{3}(k) \sigma_{3}(n-k)

I'm pretty stuck on ideas starting of to be honest, since the sum is infinite, any help much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by xfootiecrazeesarax)
    Hi,

I have  120 \sum \limits_1^\infty (\sigma_{3}(n))^{2} , where  \sigma_{3}(n) is the divisor function.

And I want to show that this can be written as  120\sum \limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \sigma_{3}(k) \sigma_{3}(n-k)

I'm pretty stuck on ideas starting of to be honest, since the sum is infinite, any help much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.
    Can't necessarily help, but I'm struggling to make sense of that.

I presume \displaystyle\sigma_3(n)=\sum_{d  |n}d^3

The sum you're given rapidly goes off to infinity, and you want to show it's equal to a a finite sum that is a function of n. :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghostwalker)
    Can't necessarily help, but I'm struggling to make sense of that.

I presume \displaystyle\sigma_3(n)=\sum_{d  |n}d^3

The sum you're given rapidly goes off to infinity, and you want to show it's equal to a a finite sum that is a function of n. :confused:
    Agree with that, though, could it not be possible that n can go to infinity and this has just simplified an expression for each term?
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Agree with that, though, could it not be possible that n can go to infinity and this has just simplified an expression for each term?
    A quick check setting n=4 say, shows:

\latex (\sigma_3(4))^2=(1+8+64)^2 = 73^2

Whereas \sum\limits_{k=1}^3 \sigma_3(k)\sigma_3(4-k)=\sigma_3(1)\sigma_3(3)+\sigma  _3(2)\sigma_3(2)+\sigma_3(3)   \sigma_3(1)

=1\times 28+ 9\times 9 +28\times 1=137\not=73^2
    • Study Helper

Study Helper

From a bit of digging around here I came across:

\sigma_7(n)-\sigma_3(n)= 120\sum \limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \sigma_{3}(k) \sigma_{3}(n-k)

though the level of maths is somewhat beyond me.

Don't know if that's of any use, or might point you in a useful direction.

ReputationRep:
    From a bit of digging around here I came across:

\sigma_7(n)-\sigma_3(n)= 120\sum \limits_{k=1}^{n-1} \sigma_{3}(k) \sigma_{3}(n-k)

Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to show, since my question doesn't seem to make sense I will post the whole question instead to clarify things:

I have concluded that E_{4}(t){2}=E_{8}(t) and I am wanting to use this to show that \sigma_{7}(n)=\sigma_{3}(n)+120 \sum\limits^{n-1}_{k=1} \sigma_{3}(k)\sigma_{3}(n-k)
    where  E_{8}(t)=1+480\sum\limits^{\inft  y}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n}
    and E_{4}(t)=1+240\sum\limits^{\inft  y}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}
    And so my working so far is E_{4}^{2}(t)-E_{8}(t)=0
    (1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n} -((1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1  } \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n})(1+480\sum\li  mits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}))  = 480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n} - 480\sum \limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}-240^{2}\sum\limits^{\infty}_{k=1  } \sigma_{3}(k)q^{k} \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}
    Divide by 480 and everything looks on track except this issue in my OP \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n}=q^{n}\sigma_{  3}(n)+120\sum\limits^{\infty}_{k  =1} \sigma_{3}(k)q^{k} \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Yes, this is exactly what I am trying to show, since my question doesn't seem to make sense I will post the whole question instead to clarify things:

I have concluded that E_{4}(t){2}=E_{8}(t) and I am wanting to use this to show that \sigma_{7}(n)=\sigma_{3}(n)+120 \sum\limits^{n-1}_{k=1} \sigma_{3}(k)\sigma_{3}(n-k)
    where  E_{8}(t)=1+480\sum\limits^{\inft  y}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n}
    and E_{4}(t)=1+240\sum\limits^{\inft  y}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}
    And so my working so far is E_{4}^{2}(t)-E_{8}(t)=0
    (1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n} -((1+480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1  } \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n})(1+480\sum\li  mits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}))  = 480\sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n} - 480\sum \limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}-240^{2}\sum\limits^{\infty}_{k=1  } \sigma_{3}(k)q^{k} \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}
    Divide by 480 and everything looks on track except this issue in my OP \sigma_{7}(n)q^{n}=q^{n}\sigma_{  3}(n)+120\sum\limits^{\infty}_{k  =1} \sigma_{3}(k)q^{k} \sum\limits^{\infty}_{n=1} \sigma_{3}(n)q^{n}
    As I said I'm not familiar with this, BUT it looks as if you have two series in q that are equal, and you just need to equate coefficients for q^n on either side of your E_4^2=E_8.
    EDit: So, there shouldn't be any infinite sums when you equate coeff.
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    Yep, equating coeff. of q^n gives:

480\sigma_3(n)+(240)^2\sum  \limits_{k=1}^{n-1}\sigma_3(k)\sigma_3(n-k) = 480\sigma_7(n)

and divide by 480.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, equating coeff. of q^n gives:

480\sigma_3(n)+(240)^2\sum  \limits_{k=1}^{n-1}\sigma_3(k)\sigma_3(n-k) = 480\sigma_7(n)

and divide by 480.

okay cheers, I see that.

However I'm struggling to write this neatly, so I've wrote out a bunch of terms and I can see the pattern, but my working is very improper, by any chance do you have any hints how to approach in a neat, proper manner?

thanks .
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    okay cheers, I see that.

However I'm struggling to write this neatly, so I've wrote out a bunch of terms and I can see the pattern, but my working is very improper, by any chance do you have any hints how to approach in a neat, proper manner?

thanks .
    I'm not really clear on what you're asking; can you explain a bit more?

As regards, the working, I'd just say equating coefficients of q^n, we have, and the line I posted previously. I wouldn't add any intermediate steps - it's just consolidating the terms arising when two series are multiplied together.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 9, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
  2. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  3. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.