How do you revise? Watch

ShikaMekiFuka
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Basically my revision techniques are crap , I feel they do not help me at all. What I do is revise a topic a day , what I do is write notes of a textbook and watch yt videos and this usually takes me 5h (no kidding) to learn that whole topic by heart. What is worrying me is that one topic a day won't do much as I will not have time to revise for other subjects n I also start revision at six afternoon till eleven . Flash cards ain't my thing either . So how should I revise to at least do a main topic of 4 subjects in a day in 5 hours. Should I use my notes of class instead of re doing it at home but then I feel I do not have enough info , ?

niv1234
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I know people tell us not to do this bur I revise mostly by writing notes. Writing things down just helps me remember things, they aren't always neat though so they don't really take much time. Your revision techniques seem quite good.I normally like writing or typing up a set of notes with all the information I could possible need just to make me feel safe but I guess it depends on how detailed your class notes are.
louisaah
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
lol i do the same as you but if you're gonna revise from your class notes they better be good cause one time I used it for a mock and I got 9/60 ))))))))
Applepiex3
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
You open the book, you stare at it, you stare at the wall, you close to book then jump into bed and wrap the duvet around your face, contemplating life and how you're going to fail.

Then you tell yourself to revise tomorrow.

The cycle repeats.
ShikaMekiFuka
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by Applepiex3)
You open the book, you stare at it, you stare at the wall, you close to book then jump into bed and wrap the duvet around your face, contemplating life and how you're going to fail.

Then you tell yourself to revise tomorrow.

The cycle repeats.
However , I don't want to be in this position
Lauren1498x
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I find writing things down actually helps. I make it easier on myself by going over and above in class notes so I don't need to do extra when it comes to revision. If you have a lot of topics to revise for I'd probably try split it up to give your brain something new to think about so maybe like an hour of each? But if you start getting bored or distracted genuinely stop and have a break then because you'll end up being more Efficient over time
MdE77
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Lauren1498x)
I find writing things down actually helps. I make it easier on myself by going over and above in class notes so I don't need to do extra when it comes to revision. If you have a lot of topics to revise for I'd probably try split it up to give your brain something new to think about so maybe like an hour of each? But if you start getting bored or distracted genuinely stop and have a break then because you'll end up being more Efficient over time
I also do this as I personally find this effective.
Spoiler:
Show

Another trick is to not let stress get to you. Take each 10 minutes of revision as it comes and try not to worry about the bigger picture when you are revising smaller things for the first time.
Amefish
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ShikaMekiFuka)
Basically my revision techniques are crap , I feel they do not help me at all. What I do is revise a topic a day , what I do is write notes of a textbook and watch yt videos and this usually takes me 5h (no kidding) to learn that whole topic by heart. What is worrying me is that one topic a day won't do much as I will not have time to revise for other subjects n I also start revision at six afternoon till eleven . Flash cards ain't my thing either . So how should I revise to at least do a main topic of 4 subjects in a day in 5 hours. Should I use my notes of class instead of re doing it at home but then I feel I do not have enough info , ?
I like to write something out from a text book or video in my own words, then I'll write it again in a different format. It should only take you about 20 minutes max for small topics such as mitosis (sorry, I'm not sure what subject you do). And then I'll leave it a few hours or a day and I'll try to write out everything I remember. This will help you highlight parts you need to go over. Write it out again if you're unsure, but more briefly this time. Come back to it a day later and see if you remember it all.

I know it sounds long but it doesn't take very much time at all, plus you can do multiple topics in a day - you don't have to try to remember everything all in one day, because it's unlikely that it will work. Rotating the subjects will also help to keep you from getting bored too.

Edit: this is called layered learning and it is proved to work
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Are you going to self-release into Clearing?

Yes I've pressed the button (98)
18.96%
No I'm happy with my uni offer (329)
63.64%
Not yet but I am planning to (24)
4.64%
Not yet but I might (66)
12.77%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed