Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ok so I'm 14 and I'm year 11 in secondary school and I have assessments in two weeks and English gcse mocks, my first proper GCSE exam for English in January and I have no idea how to revise!
    Writing things down and memorising things doesn't help me remember and learn them. When it comes to the exams I just forget absolutely everything!
    So what I'm asking is how can I revise effectively, Amy tips and tricks would be appreciated!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EllieMckenzie489)
    Ok so I'm 14 and I'm year 11 in secondary school and I have assessments in two weeks and English gcse mocks, my first proper GCSE exam for English in January and I have no idea how to revise!
    Writing things down and memorising things doesn't help me remember and learn them. When it comes to the exams I just forget absolutely everything!
    So what I'm asking is how can I revise effectively, Amy tips and tricks would be appreciated!
    Here's a list of different revision techniques I tried whilst studying for my GCSE's - hopefully some of these are helpful...:
    - Watching revision tutorials (Mr Bruff videos on YouTube are GREAT for english revision... I also have some other good recommendations for other subjects - if you need them you can message me).
    - Create a PowerPoint presentation on the topic you are studying in whatever subject and deliver it to a friend.
    - Go back through notes and highlight key words (I know you said memorising things isn't helpful for you but adding a bit of colour to notes might help. For example I use green to highlight definitions and pink to highlight key words to do with a topic)
    - Make posters (for my english literature revision I made posters on each of the characters in Of Mice and Men using just 4 key words to describe each of them and then annotated these key words with a few quotations so I could always back my points up)
    - Look at lecture notes on the topic/book you are studying and add anything new or interesting to your notes (this means that you have some varying points to others in your class and could get you higher marks if your teacher sees you are doing extra work).
    - Make a song/poem up in order to remember things (choose a song you know well and change the words to make them relevant to the subject you are revising for).

These techniques and basic note taking ended up getting me all A's in my GCSE's which proves that they work, just stick at it and don't give up - it might seem daunting and such a long process but in the end it is all worth it!! Good luck!!

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.