Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I sent off my accommodation stuff 2 days before the deadline, next day delivery, it was signed for the next day, to the address and office on the package . And today, 2 weeks later the office ring me up and tell me I missed the deadline and they only got the package today.
    I'm appealing with the help of my old enemies the Royal Mail. But can they actually do that?

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest, if you still have your proof of posting, that you use the royal mail website to see in print that the letter was signed for. get a copy of this printed off the internet and a photocopy of your proof of posting and send it to the university explaining that you send it and expected it to be delivered in the deadline using special delivery - which it was. Obviously it has been filed somewhere and only noticed at a later date. There is however nothing OFFICIALLY that you can do apart from pleading your case - they do not have a legal obligation to accept your application but if they have any sort of compassion then you would hope that they would accept it - as it is blatantly their mistake! They probably have lots of people who phone up and say that the "form got lost in the post", etc and therefore may have simply responded in a manner which they have had to adopt to sort through those who deserve accommodation - however if u have evidence, they may quickly change their opinion of you. ANY HELP?

ReputationRep:
    ring them up, plead with them and tell them that you have the proof....if they are stil refusing, you may want to email the SU at your uni as they may be able to argue for you.

love Katy ***

ReputationRep:
    good advice about the SU!

ReputationRep:
    Doesn't proof of posting have legal force in the UK?

I seem to recall that getting a receipt for such could be used in cases like this where the fault is obviously not yours.

Certainly I think it works the other way around: If, for example, you are summonsed to court by mail, you cannot claim to have missed the message if the court can prove it was sent.

Worth checking to see if it works in your direction, I would think; however, I sure ain't claiming to be a lawyer!

ReputationRep:
    I don't think the university is under any legal obligation to give you a place! So I think your best bet is to convince them that it was recieved before the deadline, so they can reconsider.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)

I seem to recall that getting a receipt for such could be used in cases like this where the fault is obviously not yours.

Certainly I think it works the other way around: If, for example, you are summonsed to court by mail, you cannot claim to have missed the message if the court can prove it was sent.

Worth checking to see if it works in your direction, I would think; however, I sure ain't claiming to be a lawyer!
    proof of posting does have legal force in the uk, BUT only if u are trying to use it as evidence for a legal matter - as Tev says, the uni is under no legal obligation to give places - they can allocate them at their own discretion. uni's only provide accommodation as an incentive to prospective students to study there, not because they are legally bound to

ReputationRep:
    may this be a lesson to us all - make sure that you reply forms even a few months before deadlines where possible, as with the large inflows of post that uni's must receive, and with fewer staff being able to sort through it (staff taking holidays/breaks), applications and forms can take longer to be accounted for.... :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clare_m)
    proof of posting does have legal force in the uk, BUT only if u are trying to use it as evidence for a legal matter - as Tev says, the uni is under no legal obligation to give places - they can allocate them at their own discretion. uni's only provide accommodation as an incentive to prospective students to study there, not because they are legally bound to
    Interesting.

However, the OP seems to have a strong moral case. S/he did what was required and missed the deadline through no fault of his/her own. You would think the uni would be honour-bound to at least examine the case closely.

ReputationRep:
    you would think wouldnt u....but life screws us all!! :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tajel)

Legally, proof of posting is not proof of receipt. That is why summonses have to be served physically if the courts are to later issue a warrant for arrest for non-attendance (contempt of court).

However, in this case daniethestudent says she has proof that the item has been signed for (she must have sent it recorded delivery) and therefore the onus would be on the uni(versity!) imo.

ReputationRep:
    Hang on, this was signed for, which means proof of delivery and the post office should be able to tell who signed for it.

If they say "get the form in before deadlin and we guarantee you a place" they they have broken their contract because you did get the form into them.

give them hell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sashh)
    Hang on, this was signed for, which means proof of delivery and the post office should be able to tell who signed for it.

If they say "get the form in before deadlin and we guarantee you a place" they they have broken their contract because you did get the form into them.

give them hell.
    no the post office wouldnt be able do anything, all they can do is give a form to fill in for compensation if the letter has been undelivered or late - which it hasnt as the person who started this thread said that it was signed for.
    as i have said on here before, if u go on to www.royalmail.com and the "track and trace" section, you put in the reference number on the proof of posting for the special delivery and it will say when it was delivered to the location - that is your only proof apart from contacting royal mail -which the person said they were doing.
    it wud be very rare for universities to say "get the form in before deadline and we guarantee you a place" - but if this is the case, pressurize them. and if all else fails contact the su

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the brilliant advice. They got in touch later saying that if I faxed through a copy of my receipt with the date on it, to prove that it was posted the manager is going to try and sort something out for me tomorrow.
    The only problem I can think of is that I specifically picked the halls I applied for because they were right next door to my university, so thus I wouldn't have to travel through London if it got dark or something and also because they weren't expensive.

If they allocate me to somewhere further away/more expensive, can I dispute costs? As my parents are already having to take out a loan as it is to pay for my accommodation as it would already eat up £4k or my £5k loan.

Could I claim for travel costs or extra costs to do with higher halls rates?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Danithestudent)
    Could I claim for travel costs or extra costs to do with higher halls rates?

Thanks!
    While you might've been guaranteed a place if you applied before the deadline, chances are they put a disclaimer on their accomodation form saying that you might not get into your first choice accomodation. But you could give it a go!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2004
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.