The Student Room Group

Firming Law at Manchester/Leeds/Newcastle/Lancaster/Liverpool

Hi I have received conditional offers for Law from all 5 universities, which is great!

What are your opinions from the 5 listed about studying Law in respect to experience, employability etc.

I'm from Manchester for context. I've decided I do not want to go to Newcastle- it is a great university and has a good law school but I just didn't see myself there at the open day. That leaves
Manchester (AAA), Leeds (AAA), Lancaster (AAA) and Liverpool (ABB).

If i achieve A*AA would it matter to employers which university I actually go ie if i wasn't choosing Lpool SOLELY because of its ABB requirement?

All 5 are respected but I'd say Manchester is the most highly regarded of the 5 to employers. is this true? I've seen the chamber student report but I don't fully think its a valid source bc of who and what it sourced for data.

Strengths and weakness of all, feel free to comment/disagree/give more insight please!!!

Manchester- most highly regarded amongst employers, great city with endless opportunities to get involved in for both legal/non-legal areas
BUT lack of student satisfaction, no designated law building, plus i'm from Manchester so living in accommodation could be a waste of money but i don't want to live at home...

Leeds- highest in league tables of the 5, regarded well by employers, city links BUT whilst i love the city and like the actual uni, I'm not particularly fascinated by the course (nothing bad, just nothing unique to explain why i like it)

Liverpool- it's lowest in league tables of russel groups and has low entry requirements, typically 700/800 students in one year for Law...
BUT it offers my most preferred course!! That's for Law WITH accounting - which actually makes me feel more enthusiastic, and also how Liverpool offers its unique social justice module. I like the city. IDK how employers would see this uni!?

Lancaster- fantastic uni, ranked the best law school in the north west, i genuinely believe out of all 5, here there'd be the best support for students. They have many networking events but realistically how employable would a Lancaster graduate be in comparison to Manchester grads?

I want to have the best experience give me your ideas and which you'd choose, cheers guys :smile:
Reply 1
Original post by georgia_tsr
Hi I have received conditional offers for Law from all 5 universities, which is great!

What are your opinions from the 5 listed about studying Law in respect to experience, employability etc.

I'm from Manchester for context. I've decided I do not want to go to Newcastle- it is a great university and has a good law school but I just didn't see myself there at the open day. That leaves
Manchester (AAA), Leeds (AAA), Lancaster (AAA) and Liverpool (ABB).

If i achieve A*AA would it matter to employers which university I actually go ie if i wasn't choosing Lpool SOLELY because of its ABB requirement?

All 5 are respected but I'd say Manchester is the most highly regarded of the 5 to employers. is this true? I've seen the chamber student report but I don't fully think its a valid source bc of who and what it sourced for data.

Strengths and weakness of all, feel free to comment/disagree/give more insight please!!!

Manchester- most highly regarded amongst employers, great city with endless opportunities to get involved in for both legal/non-legal areas
BUT lack of student satisfaction, no designated law building, plus i'm from Manchester so living in accommodation could be a waste of money but i don't want to live at home...

Leeds- highest in league tables of the 5, regarded well by employers, city links BUT whilst i love the city and like the actual uni, I'm not particularly fascinated by the course (nothing bad, just nothing unique to explain why i like it)

Liverpool- it's lowest in league tables of russel groups and has low entry requirements, typically 700/800 students in one year for Law...
BUT it offers my most preferred course!! That's for Law WITH accounting - which actually makes me feel more enthusiastic, and also how Liverpool offers its unique social justice module. I like the city. IDK how employers would see this uni!?

Lancaster- fantastic uni, ranked the best law school in the north west, i genuinely believe out of all 5, here there'd be the best support for students. They have many networking events but realistically how employable would a Lancaster graduate be in comparison to Manchester grads?

I want to have the best experience give me your ideas and which you'd choose, cheers guys :smile:

It's obvious you don't won't to go to Manc, and if you aren't enthusiastic about the uni theres no point spending 3 years there.
Leeds- if you don't feel particularly excited about the course then again , don't go here, You need to go somewhere you'll enjoy
Liverpool- might not be the best but it's your preferred course so you'd actually enjoy the experience
Lancaster- a good uni, seems like the perfect mix between good academics and recruiting, but how do you feel about the course itself?
Congrats, they are all top uni's. Based on prestige I would firm
Manchester. It would seem sensible to insure Liverpool. A 2.1/1st from
Liverpool will put u into a good position to gain training contracts at law firms etc. If you don't prefer Liverpool then insure 2 uni's with the same grade. If worst come to worst you will still be able to find good uni's in clearing for Law. I.e Warwick and Manchester were both in clearing for law (2015)

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest