The Student Room Group

Trig question help !

14786017311482011439746.jpg how do I solve for sin4x-sin3x=0 for 0<x<pi? I don't get how the formula sin p- sinq can be used because cos 3.5x will be created... I don't know what to do with the 3.5x ...

Thanks
Original post by coconut64
how do I solve for sin4x-sin3x=0 for 0<x<pi? I don't get how the formula sin p- sinq can be used because cos 3.5x will be created... I don't know what to do with the 3.5x ...

Thanks

You don't need to do anything with the 3.5x.

You have 2 cos 3.5x sin 0.5x = 0

so, cos 3.5x = 0 or sin 0.5x = 0

If sin 0.5x = 0, then 0.5x = 0, pi, 2pi, 3pi, etc.
Hence x = 0, 2pi, 4pi, 6pi, etc.
Now restrict it to the desired domain, x = 0 (everything else is outside the given domain)

Now do the same with the cos. It's slightly trickier with the values, but the process is the same.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Alternatively you could solve sin4θ=sin3θ\sin4\theta = \sin 3\theta by considering the sine graph / CAST.

This is quicker but can be confusing for a lot of students.

E.g. the first solution is when 4θ=3θ4\theta = 3\theta
Reply 3
Original post by notnek
Alternatively you could solve sin4θ=sin3θ\sin4\theta = \sin 3\theta by considering the sine graph / CAST.

This is quicker but can be confusing for a lot of students.

E.g. the first solution is when 4θ=3θ4\theta = 3\theta

I don't think I had ever learnt that method to solve it. I do know the cast diagram but not the method but thanks
Reply 4
Original post by ghostwalker
You don't need to do anything with the 3.5x.

You have 2 cos 3.5x sin 0.5x = 0

so, cos 3.5x = 0 or sin 0.5x = 0

If sin 0.5x = 0, then 0.5x = 0, pi, 2pi, 3pi, etc.
Hence x = 0, 2pi, 4pi, 6pi, etc.
Now restrict it to the desired domain, x = 0, or 2pi.

Now do the same with the cos. It's slightly trickier with the values, but the process is the same.

Thanks I managed to get it now.
Thanks I managed to get it now.

Note: I've amended my previous post, as the 2pi solution is outside the given domain and so not valid.
Reply 6
I don't think I had ever learnt that method to solve it. I do know the cast diagram but not the method but thanks

If you want to have a go then I recommend you watch the solution to 5c here.

That video shows how you can solve

tan(θ+π6)=tan(πθ)\displaystyle \tan\left(\theta + \frac{\pi}{6}\right) = \tan\left(\pi-\theta\right)

which is similar to your problem.
(edited 7 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest