Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I recently dropped out of university in order to look after my mother due to her ill health and me attending a university on the other side of the country.

I am hoping to now attend a university close to home but wish to study a new course.

The course I used to study was Physics and I completed 2/3 years there with a pass and I am now wishing to move into games development.

My question is:

Will my diploma of higher education be a help in me possibly attending my new university?

Also, will it help me to maybe start on a later year than the first? (I am more than happy, however, to start the course at the very beginning if not).

ReputationRep:
    Send an email to the admissions team of the university you wish to study at - only they will know whether they are prepared to recognise your existing credits. Also, you could complete your physics degree and go into games development after?! There is nothing from stopping you learning games development as a hobby alongside a physics degree.

Good luck!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    A DipHE in Physics wouldn't hurt your chances of getting in, that's for sure. You won't be able to skip the first year of a games development degree. You will also have to pay the tuition fee for the first year of your new degree yourself.

(Original post by Contempt)
    Also, you could complete your physics degree and go into games development after?! There is nothing from stopping you learning games development as a hobby alongside a physics degree.

Good luck!
    If the OP did that, they wouldn't get any student loans to pay for the games development degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    If the OP did that, they wouldn't get any student loans to pay for the games development degree.
    OP doesn't need a games development degree to "go into games development after" a physics degree.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in a similar situation and was also in university for 2/3 years before dropping out (due to lack of interest and depression/anxiety), and received my diploma just recently. I asked around and I've been told that a diploma like this is always ignored and universities don't tend to include it, but like Snufkin said a diploma from a physics degree certainly wouldn't hurt your chances.

I can imagine you would have to start from the first year, however email the university because you never know!

On a side note: have you taken into account the tuition fees? You're only allowed a tuition fee loan for a certain amount of years.
    However, in certain circumstances SFE (assuming you're in England) offer an extra year or so. They've given me an extra year so I can go back to university and complete a different degree.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Keele University
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  2. University of Melbourne
    Open Day Undergraduate
    Sun, 19 Aug '18
  3. Sheffield Hallam University
    City Campus Undergraduate
    Tue, 21 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.