Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Just wondering where all the Hercules graphics cards have buggered off to. The guillmote website says they still make em, but nobody seems to sell em!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    Just wondering where all the Hercules graphics cards have buggered off to. The guillmote website says they still make em, but nobody seems to sell em!
    As far as I am aware they have stopped making them, they are concentrating on monitors now.

ReputationRep:
    so what radeon manufacturer would people recommend!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    so what radeon manufacturer would people recommend!?
    ATI I would reckon.

ReputationRep:
    Any will do as long as it has the same chipset and has good memory.

ReputationRep:
    good memory as in size or are there different memory qualities>?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiwarin_mir)
    ATI I would reckon.
    do ati actually make graphics cards? i thought other manufacturers just use their chipset?

ReputationRep:
    Yea ATI do sell actuall video cards. It's Nvidia who just make the chipset.

ReputationRep:
    It's hard to find ATi made cards unless you're in the US/Canada though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MikeH)
    Yea ATI do sell actuall video cards. It's Nvidia who just make the chipset.
    ATi dont make graphics cards for retail, only the initial reference boards. any "ATi branded" GFX cards are made by some other company, such as sapphire

ReputationRep:
    so which is the best brand then?

atm i'm looking at sapphire, but obviously there is ASUS, Powercolor, 3dConnect and various others. Asus seem an unlikely option for me, since they seem to be withdrawing all their AGP boards for more expensive X Range boards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    so which is the best brand then?

atm i'm looking at sapphire, but obviously there is ASUS, Powercolor, 3dConnect and various others. Asus seem an unlikely option for me, since they seem to be withdrawing all their AGP boards for more expensive X Range boards.
    there is not much difference between them... but as a guess i would say sapphire (as they are made by ATI but branded into sapphire iirc)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dickie)
    ATi dont make graphics cards for retail, only the initial reference boards. any "ATi branded" GFX cards are made by some other company, such as sapphire
    That may be true over here, I'm not sure, but Im pretty certain you'll find that ATi do themselves sell graphics card in North America. Take a look on Amazon.com or their own website.

What I do know for sure is that you'd be right in saying Nvidia only make reference boards and dont retail any actual cards themselves.

Poll
Do protests make a difference in political decisions?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.