Being Thrown Out of College due to Chronic Illness - What To Do? Watch

remarius
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
decided to delete as my initial panic has passed and I am starting to think a bit clearer.

Am still waiting for a reply from college - but I haven't checked my emails as it is making me feel very anxious to see what they say. My biggest problem is that I have no diagnosis and there is no support for CFS/ME/fatigue in NI, so it makes getting treatment and medical proof hard.

if they do withdraw me, I am hoping I am able to apply to sit the exams as a private candidate and I haven't missed any deadline. If they want me to drop any subjects, I will still be doing them as a private candidate outside of college too.
wifty
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I hope everything works out for you. I have suffered from fatigue for several years due to chronic illness. I was studying independently for my GCSE's and I am now doing IB in college. I understand how hard it is to keep on top of your studies when you're constantly exhausted. I hope your college is understanding in light of your circumstances, but they might be more difficult to convince without a diagnosis to back up your story.
I'm not sure on the deadlines for independent candidates; that's something you'll have to look into. I'd imagine the deadlines differ between centres but I'm not 100% certain.
remarius
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by wifty)
I hope everything works out for you. I have suffered from fatigue for several years due to chronic illness. I was studying independently for my GCSE's and I am now doing IB in college. I understand how hard it is to keep on top of your studies when you're constantly exhausted. I hope your college is understanding in light of your circumstances, but they might be more difficult to convince without a diagnosis to back up your story.
I'm not sure on the deadlines for independent candidates; that's something you'll have to look into. I'd imagine the deadlines differ between centres but I'm not 100% certain.
Thank you, I hope things are going well for you too.

If I want a diagnosis, I am going to have to do it privately and even then I will just have a diagnosis rather than any support or the same level of treatment offered in the rest of the UK. The lack of support for people with ME/CFS/fatigue problems in NI is a disgrace and 'exercise and you will feel better' and 'are you sure you're not depressed or it's not the meds you're on?' seems to be all the GP can offer me. I know exercise is linked to helping with fatigue, and it releases endorphins, but I find it more frustrating and upsetting than anything else to find I am struggling to walk to the end of the street when the day before I could do it without any problems.

I have been completely open with them, and I'm hoping the fact that I was allowed to sit my A Levels last year and the fact I have already sat 3 of the modules we are doing (and didn't fail any of them! I actually did better in my A2s that were largely self-taught than I did in my AS's!) will also help my case. I'm just waiting on email responses from the college to see what they say.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19
  • University of Aberdeen
    General Open Day Undergraduate
    Tue, 27 Aug '19
  • Norwich University of the Arts
    Postgraduate (MA) Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 31 Aug '19

How are you feeling about GCSE Results Day?

Hopeful (212)
12.76%
Excited (148)
8.91%
Worried (302)
18.18%
Terrified (374)
22.52%
Meh (151)
9.09%
Confused (36)
2.17%