No commercial awareness but VS interview coming up!! Watch

Da Di Doo
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
How do I QUICKLY gain commercial awareness? I'm always revising/doing ECs and so I don't bother reading the news much.

What do I do?

I can't afford FT/The Economist either... So is the business section of 'The Times' ok?
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Put quite bluntly, you can't develop your commercial awareness quickly. 90% of commercial awareness is actually commercial interest - if you are not naturally absorbing commercial news, you have to question whether commercial law is really for you.

But you have got commercial awareness, you just don't think you have. A lot of commercial awareness is just common sense anyway.
Da Di Doo
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by J-SP)
Put quite bluntly, you can't develop your commercial awareness quickly. 90% of commercial awareness is actually commercial interest - if you are not naturally absorbing commercial news, you have to question whether commercial law is really for you.

But you have got commercial awareness, you just don't think you have. A lot of commercial awareness is just common sense anyway.
Can you give me some examples of commercial awareness questions they might ask? There are so many things going on with different businesses, e.g. M&S closing dozens of their stores, RBS having to pay back £400 to small businesses... etc, I can't keep up with what all these businesses are doing.
J-SP
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Da Di Doo)
Can you give me some examples of commercial awareness questions they might ask? There are so many things going on with different businesses, e.g. M&S closing dozens of their stores, RBS having to pay back £400 to small businesses... etc, I can't keep up with what all these businesses are doing.
It could be anything and will vary between the firms.

Think about the following though:

- What is affecting their business as a law firm at the moment? Do a SWOT analysis....
- What are their clients worried about? Should they be worried?
- What kind of legal advice/practice areas will be impacted more by developments in the economy/politics/markets etc

You don't need to know the details of the stories you have listed. You just need to think WHY they have happened and what impact that might have on the type of work/advice law firms are giving their clients.

So think of it more as:

- M&S are closing stores - why are they doing this, if M&S is a client of a firm, what legal advice would M&S need from the firm

As I said, this is all basic stuff really. Try not to over think it.
neal95
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Have you checked whether your uni has a subscription to the ft? Mine does and it wasn't very well publicised, so when i tell others they are often surprised. If not your uni library will have a newsstand where you can read a copy of the times or guardian for free so might be worth reading the whole thing or at least the business pages occasionally. It's a process and you need to start now as you will gradually pick up stuff. Even if you don't wanna use the ft use BBC business news
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (60)
30.46%
No - I got the required grades (114)
57.87%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (23)
11.68%

Watched Threads