Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Do you think there is a major difference between the two in the eyes of employers?
    Would it be more likely you get a job if you went to Uni of Liverpool rather than JMU?

Thanks x

ReputationRep:
    Yes. Some people will tell you different but a lot of employers still do not value ex-polys as anything near a institute of learning. I doubt this view will go away anytime soon.

ReputationRep:
    A degree is a degree. I think most employers won't care that much about the uni.
    Why does everyone just presume Uni of Liverpool is a better institution overall rather than JMU? Just coz it's got more academic courses? So what? JMU has a wider variety of courses and has plenty of academic courses as well as arty courses. Just coz it has arty courses such as drama and media aswell as academic courses such as maths and law doesn't mean the uni is any less likely to get you employment in the future.

ReputationRep:
    I agree fully, at the end of the day its a degree. Liverpool uni didnt do the course I wanted to do so i chose John Moores instead. My sister has just got a 2/1 degree in history from sheffield uni and she cant find a job yet. I think its all about luck and how you apply yourself after you have got your degree not where you got your degree from.

ReputationRep:
    Put it this way. If you're into Art and things of that calibre, go JMU. If you're into Mathematics or Computer Science, etc... UoL is the option.

Yes, a degree is a degree, but Universities have reputations. For instance if your looking to be a Vet or Mechanical Engineer, then UoL is the best in the country (Or one of them). An engineering company would value a degree in Mechanical Engineering alot more than say JMU because of it's reputation.

So overall, they both have their strong points... let's leave it there.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 20, 2007

University open days

• Liverpool Hope University
    All Faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 5 Dec '18
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Liverpool Hope University resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.