Turn on thread page Beta

Changing from Concerta XL to Equasym XL? watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

diagnosed with ADD 4 years ago, and I've been on Concerta XL until recently.

I was on 72mg of Concerta, which I found worked really well with me but have had to change as I am now having to follow a FODMAP diet/lactose intolerant.

I've been changed onto 60mg of Equasym, however I find it doesn't seem to be as effective as Concerta? I know it's basically the same as Concerta but packaged differently and the tablets take a different form, and that my dose is now lowered but I find I feel as if I may as well not be taking it because it seems to do so little compared to the Concerta. I know I have weird reactions to some meds (I was prescribed a painkiller for nerve pain that's also an anti-depressant a few years ago that made me very short tempered, Sertraline made me behave as if I was bipolar, and when I was on beta-blockers they made me feel depressed) and whilst on Concerta I seemed to develop something like Raynaud's syndrome as well as occasionally getting heart palpatations. So far, Equasym seems to be making me much more irritable, my cold hands and feet seem to be worse and I am finding my concentration is decreased and I'm finding it much harder to stay focused and on track than when I was on Concerta. I can't comment on anxiety yet, but it does feel as if it's worse.

I am seeing my consultant for a review in December, where I will be voicing this, however I'm not sure if this is just the changeover and getting used to new meds? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by remarius)
    Hey guys,

diagnosed with ADD 4 years ago, and I've been on Concerta XL until recently.

I was on 72mg of Concerta, which I found worked really well with me but have had to change as I am now having to follow a FODMAP diet/lactose intolerant.

I've been changed onto 60mg of Equasym, however I find it doesn't seem to be as effective as Concerta? I know it's basically the same as Concerta but packaged differently and the tablets take a different form, and that my dose is now lowered but I find I feel as if I may as well not be taking it because it seems to do so little compared to the Concerta. I know I have weird reactions to some meds (I was prescribed a painkiller for nerve pain that's also an anti-depressant a few years ago that made me very short tempered, Sertraline made me behave as if I was bipolar, and when I was on beta-blockers they made me feel depressed) and whilst on Concerta I seemed to develop something like Raynaud's syndrome as well as occasionally getting heart palpatations. So far, Equasym seems to be making me much more irritable, my cold hands and feet seem to be worse and I am finding my concentration is decreased and I'm finding it much harder to stay focused and on track than when I was on Concerta. I can't comment on anxiety yet, but it does feel as if it's worse.

I am seeing my consultant for a review in December, where I will be voicing this, however I'm not sure if this is just the changeover and getting used to new meds? Has anyone else experienced something similar?
    How long have you been on this now? These meds can take anything up to a couple of months to start working at their best but obviously it varies person to person. Side effects tend to die down over time but if they haven't gone by then they probably won't. I'd say you're best sticking with them for now and see how you are when you next see them, if the side effects and things are really bothering you though you can always see your GP before then, or see if you can move the appointment forward at all.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.