Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi, so, I needed explanations for vertical circular motion, so I searched for it and found a site with pretty decent explanations for it.

http://seanelvidge.com/2013/02/veloc...loop-the-loop/

If you'd take some moments to read it, then you'll understand my doubts.

I don't understand why the potential energy at the bottom is 0, whereas at the top, kinetic energy is not 0?

I've always learnt that an object is always momentarily stationary at the maximum point of a parabolic path, so why not here? Shouldn't K.E = 0?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fandom-queen)
    Hi, so, I needed explanations for vertical circular motion, so I searched for it and found a site with pretty decent explanations for it.

http://seanelvidge.com/2013/02/veloc...loop-the-loop/

If you'd take some moments to read it, then you'll understand my doubts.

I don't understand why the potential energy at the bottom is 0, whereas at the top, kinetic energy is not 0?

I've always learnt that an object is always momentarily stationary at the maximum point of a parabolic path, so why not here? Shouldn't K.E = 0?
    Well it's looking for the *minimum* speed at which the rollercoaster riders buttocks have no contact force against the seat... and that speed is greater than zero.- so KE is greater than zero.

the riders buttocks would also have no contact force if the speed at the top of the loop was zero but that's not what the guy was looking for... and the ride coming to a permanent halt half way round is something the designers will usually try and avoid.

BTW at the top of a parabolic path it's the vertical velocity which is zero - it's still got a non zero component of horizontal velocity so the KE isn't zero there either.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    Well it's looking for the *minimum* speed at which the rollercoaster riders buttocks have no contact force against the seat... and that speed is greater than zero.- so KE is greater than zero.

the riders buttocks would also have no contact force if the speed at the top of the loop was zero but that's not what the guy was looking for... and the ride coming to a permanent halt half way round is something the designers will usually try and avoid.

BTW at the top of a parabolic path it's the vertical velocity which is zero - it's still got a non zero component of horizontal velocity so the KE isn't zero there either.
    Aah, thanks! I completely forgot about the horizontal component.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 8, 2016
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  2. University of Bolton
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
  3. Bishop Grosseteste University
    All Courses Undergraduate
    Fri, 17 Aug '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.