Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,
    I have this dilemma where I have to choose between an undergraduate degree at Oxford University along with a debt of around £20,000 or an undergraduate at university of Copenhagen (top-notch university) and no debt.
    My parents decided to move outside of Europe for 5 years so thanks to them I no longer qualify for grants from the Danish government, but I might be able to secure a loan from the Swedish government (if I am lucky). My dad is the person who is objecting to my decision to go to Oxford since my family has little money and he refuses to aid me economically. He considers it silly to get so much debt due to undergraduate studies. I myself really do not want to study in Denmark and I am set on Oxford.
    Any thoughts on this?

ReputationRep:
    Oxford. It is worth any amount of debt, frankly. Copenhagen is a damn good University, but if you get a first or a 2.1 from Oxford, it's a 'skip to the front of the interview queue' golden ticket.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to go to Oxford then go for it, alot of people would take on the debt to study there me included.

ReputationRep:
    If you wouldn't be happy studying in Copenhagen, I don't see the point of you going there. I'd much rather be happy and in debt than miserable without debt. And if you've got your heart set on Oxford, and you won't go there, you'll most likely end up regretting it for the rest of your life.

ReputationRep:
    Ok, thank you all for the advice, I appreciate it that you took your time to answer my question.

ReputationRep:
    Copenhagen is an excellent university. Just bear in mind that I can't see any realistic way in which you are going to be disadvantaged by having a degree from one of the best universities in Europe to the tune of £20,000. If you want to go to Oxford, then go, but don't kid yourself that it is going to make a vast amount of difference, especially in science.

ReputationRep:
    If your heart is with Oxford then I would say that your decision is already made.

BUT, having said that, Europe has absolutely amazing universities which are considered just as good as Oxbridge in their native countries (and, to some extent, outside their native countries) - it's just that the typical Brit UCAS applicant is focused only on British universities and so doesn't really know about them.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.