Turn on thread page Beta

What do you think of Facebook? watch

ReputationRep:
    I went on Facebook the other day and got a bit carried away looking at people's profiles who I haven't spoken to in ages, and how they've changed. However, three main things occurred to me when I was on:

1) Dubious profile pictures
    The profile pictures tend to always look the same with the hideous pout, the same daft 'mysterious' facial expression and the same futile attempt to look somewhat seductive. What I don't get is that these people never look like this when you see them in real life because the pictures look so heavily orchestrated, so who are they trying to fool that they look this way? Themselves? It just makes people look somewhat cheap and shallow.

2) Self-centered status updates
    If you look at posts, they're most often egocentric - be it a meal they had last night, how they're currently spooning their bf/gf, or a bunch of holiday snaps. I just can't see what purpose it is to post these for everyone to see. The most likely explanation is that people want to portray their lives as rosy and better than the next person. To say we live in an individualistic culture where we're all accepted, this really seems to be a really sad way of gaining affirmation from others. Why can't people just be satisfied with what they've done, rather than taking it that step further by bragging and seeking approval?

3) Unnecessary posts
    People post messages/questions on the profiles of their immediate families - people who they actually live with! They could just tell/ask them in person, so it begs the question of why they chose to convey the message on a platform for everyone to see. Could a desperate thirst for attention be the answer? Wanting to make relationships look rosier than they truly are?

Despite what appears to be my pessimistic view of Facebook, I think it really has it's use for making quick and convenient plans, and to keep in contact with people easily. However, I do believe it's brought out a more self-centered and superficial side in a lot of people. What do you think of it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKS64)
    I went on Facebook the other day and got a bit carried away looking at people's profiles who I haven't spoken to in ages, and how they've changed. However, three main things occurred to me when I was on:

The profile pictures tend to always look the same with the hideous pout, the same daft 'mysterious' facial expression and the same futile attempt to look somewhat seductive. What I don't get is that these people never look like this when you see them in real life because the pictures look so heavily orchestrated, so who are they trying to fool that they look this way? Themselves? It just makes people look somewhat cheap and shallow.

If you look at posts, they're most often egocentric - be it a meal they had last night, how they're currently spooning their bf/gf, or a bunch of holiday snaps. I just can't see what purpose it is to post these for everyone to see. The most likely explanation is that people want to portray their lives as rosy and better than the next person. To say we live in an individualistic culture where we're all accepted, this really seems to be a really sad way of gaining affirmation from others. Why can't people just be satisfied with what they've done, rather than taking it that step further by bragging and seeking approval?

3) Unnecessary posts
    People post messages/questions on the profiles of their immediate families - people who they actually live with! They could just tell/ask them in person, so it begs the question of why they chose to convey the message on a platform for everyone to see. Could a desperate thirst for attention be the answer? Wanting to make relationships look rosier than they truly are?

Despite what appears to be my pessimistic view of Facebook, I think it really has it's use for making quick and convenient plans, and keep in contact with people easily. However, I do believe it's brought out a more self-centered and superficial side in a lot of people. What do you think of it?
    1. I have a fsjal image for my profile pic, then again it doesn't look like me at all in real life.

2.Tru that, it's as if it's a place to show off and say look what i've done.

3. Then again , probably just attention, still i'm just a stalker watching from the shadows unless i'm trying to help someone with some maths on the examsolutions group.
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Remembers my friends' birthdays so I don't have to.

ReputationRep:
    It's alright. I think Mark Zuckerberg is a complete numpty, though.

ReputationRep:
    I can see some of its actual benefits like advertising, event planning, staying connected with actual friends/family because people move homes and towns and that.

But the way it's mostly utilised (poking people you don't know/will never meet or only meet up for mutual or unmutual sex or just an embarrassing date) has made me fall outta love with FB lately

and the fact it's made Mark ****erberg one of the top 5 richest people around :curious:

yea no, I'm boycotting. If you wanna chat then fone me, simple as.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    2.Tru that, it's as if it's a place to show off and say look what i've done.
    Yeah, it's almost like an everyday person's fame platform to show off how they think they look like Kim Kardashian or whoever else.

What I've also noticed though is that people always filter out the stuff they don't like in their posts. For example, a cousin of mine bragged about his GCSE and AS Level results on Facebook, and got a tonne of likes. Then at A2, things went tits up and he got rejected from both the universities he applied for - but not a thing was posted on Facebook then. How interesting... The best thing to do would be to approach anything on social media sceptically and with caution.

ReputationRep:
    How they gather information on you, and your personal life, and sell it to advertisers. I like my privacy pls. :'(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKS64)
    Yeah, it's almost like an everyday person's fame platform to show off how they think they look like Kim Kardashian or whoever else.

What I've also noticed though is that people always filter out the stuff they don't like in their posts. For example, a cousin of mine bragged about his GCSE and AS Level results on Facebook, and got a tonne of likes. Then at A2, things went tits up and he got rejected from both the universities he applied for - but not a thing was posted on Facebook then. How interesting... The best thing to do would be to approach anything on social media sceptically and with caution.
    xD
    well that's kinda obvious, you wouldn't post that you failed your driving test xD

I just stay in the background, i barely post anything apart from my silly posts in 2013, other than that i don't post unless i intend to help someone

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by will'o'wisp)
    xD
    well that's kinda obvious, you wouldn't post that you failed your driving test xD

I just stay in the background, i barely post anything apart from my silly posts in 2013, other than that i don't post unless i intend to help someone
    No, I suppose you wouldn't

Then again, even if someone did pass (be it an exam, driving test or getting into university), I just can't see what posting about it could possibly achieve. It's like what I say: why can't people just be satisfied with who they are and their achievements rather than letting everyone know about it? They're no more special than anyone else - it just seems highly self-absorbed and attention-driven to do so, as if they either seek approval or believe they deserve it.

ReputationRep:
    It has some true facts on there, but come on most of it is all lies just to get peoples attention! It can be useful for knowing friends bday as someone has said, and yeah it's good to communicate with family members and people who live away, but it's not the best thing going!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKS64)

3) Unnecessary posts

Despite what appears to be my pessimistic view of Facebook, I think it really has it's use for making quick and convenient plans, and to keep in contact with people easily. However, I do believe it's brought out a more self-centered and superficial side in a lot of people. What do you think of it?
    I pretty much agree with all of the above, but I really like using Facebook to tag people in things I think they'd like/find funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JKS64)
    No, I suppose you wouldn't

Then again, even if someone did pass (be it an exam, driving test or getting into university), I just can't see what posting about it could possibly achieve. It's like what I say: why can't people just be satisfied with who they are and their achievements rather than letting everyone know about it? They're no more special than anyone else - it just seems highly self-absorbed and attention-driven to do so, as if they either seek approval or believe they deserve it.
    It makes sense if the thing they be posting is prestigious or is difficult to do/won't pass on their first time

even so i don't really care about showing off because
    1 i barely have anything to show off
    2 makes me look like an egotistical mofo
    3 i see no point in doing it
    fantastic you managed to get 100% in a hard test well done.

ReputationRep:
    I hardly ever post & only use it to procrastinate/talk to people lol
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    I genuinely use it to 'stay in touch with friends' lol.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 8, 2016
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.