Exam board doesn't do a textbook??! Watch

abdfal
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Hi, I'm going to be self studying German A-level over the next 2 years alongside 3 other A-levels I'm taking in sixth-form. I will be taking the exams at my school and therefore I was planning on doing the same exam board as my sixth-form does for German, WJEC. However, after looking at the new specification and digital resources I've realised there's no textbooks available for the new spec.
I don't know what to do. Should I do a different exam board instead? Preferably I would like to stay with WJEC as I've sorted most of my stuff out and started looking at the lit/films for it, and if I was to do a different board I'd have to find a different exam centre to do it at.
TSR Jessica
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. Are you sure you've posted in the right place? Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there.

Just quoting in Fox Corner so she can move the thread if needed :wizard:
Spoiler:
Show
(Original post by Fox Corner)
x
student2312
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'm doing an A level language that doesn't have a textbook. It's a new specification but even the old one didn't have a textbook so I doubt they'll be bringing one in.

Honestly at A level I'm not sure how helpful a textbook would be. At gcse it's helpful because it guides you through the topics and you can learn the phrases and answers to questions off by heart but at A level the language becomes a lot more general. It's less about having answers prepared for set questions and more about improving your general fluency, conversation ability and grammatical understanding.
you can change exam board if you wish but If you have a decent grounding in it (GCSE) you should be able to improve your general ability alone and pass your A level. Also don't be afraid to ask your school for resources and help, I'm sure they'd be happy to help.

One piece of advice though, if you are self teaching the language try to get some form of regular contact with other learners/speakers of the language. You will find that because you are actually using what you learn, it becomes so much more natural to remember and speak.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...

All the exam results help you need

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

• Sheffield Hallam University
    Clearing open day Undergraduate
    Tue, 20 Aug '19
  • Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Aug '19
  • University of Dundee
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 26 Aug '19

Do you have grade requirements for your sixth form/college?

At least 5 GCSEs at grade 4 (24)
17.02%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 5 (22)
15.6%
At least 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (29)
20.57%
Higher than 5 GCSEs at grade 6 (56)
39.72%
Pass in English and Maths GCSE (3)
2.13%
No particular grades needed (7)
4.96%