Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for economics and french, When I wrote my personal statement, I did half economics and slightly less french.

In my french paragraph I talked about culture, films and books that made me want to study french. However, I did not link the french paragraph with economics??

The reason for this is that I thought that since a french admissions tutor is going to read the french part, while the economics admissions tutor reads the economics part. I thought I would demostrate my passion for language and its culture in that paragraph for french, even using topics in the course for french?

I am really confused and need advice because if I did it wrong, then I only have a few days to rewrite it and submit it for the internal deadline.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    Ok first off, please do not rush to submit anything. The deadline is Jan 15th and if you need more time then take it.

Are you applying for a joint honours course? If so you need a 50:50 split and yes you need to talk about why you want to study both subjects. There may well be one French and one economics admissions tutor but they will look at the statement as a whole and your suitability for the joint course.

If the course is not a joint honours you need to pick one subject and stick with it. You cannot apply for these two subjects together.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alleycat393)
    Ok first off, please do not rush to submit anything. The deadline is Jan 15th and if you need more time then take it.

Are you applying for a joint honours course? If so you need a 50:50 split and yes you need to talk about why you want to study both subjects. There may well be one French and one economics admissions tutor but they will look at the statement as a whole and your suitability for the joint course.

If the course is not a joint honours you need to pick one subject and stick with it. You cannot apply for these two subjects together.

Yes, all my options are French and Economics joint honour courses.
    In terms of the 50:50 split, do I need to link my french paragraphs to the economics? Because I mainly talk about film and books linked to french but not at all to economics?

Slightly confused because does it matter if I haven't linked them but I have shown that i want to study both?

Or do I neglect what I have written and start writing about the french economy and how language is useful for understanding this etc etc to link them both?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by JulieEdiz)
    Yes, all my options are French and Economics joint honour courses.
    In terms of the 50:50 split, do I need to link my french paragraphs to the economics? Because I mainly talk about film and books linked to french but not at all to economics?

Slightly confused because does it matter if I haven't linked them but I have shown that i want to study both?

Or do I neglect what I have written and start writing about the french economy and how language is useful for understanding this etc etc to link them both?
    If you do as you suggest, you'll be talking about how you want to study French economics. And that's not what your course is.

ReputationRep:
    I applied for spanish and econ at 3 universities and just spanish at one. For this reason I weighted it slightly more towards spanish and talked about the spanish economy in the economics part. I have to admit making the link was really hard so I understand that bit; if it helps, I talked about how I had developed an interest in latin american economies influenced by spain, then went on to talk about brazil's economy (extremely high interest rates, deep recession).

Bearing in mind I have only got one offer so far, I don't know how successful this method has been.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by ions)
    I applied for spanish and econ at 3 universities and just spanish at one. For this reason I weighted it slightly more towards spanish and talked about the spanish economy in the economics part. I have to admit making the link was really hard so I understand that bit; if it helps, I talked about how I had developed an interest in latin american economies influenced by spain, then went on to talk about brazil's economy (extremely high interest rates, deep recession).

Bearing in mind I have only got one offer so far, I don't know how successful this method has been.
    The uni for pure Spanish will think it's weird, because their course doesn't teach about the Spanish economy.
    The unis for economics and Spanish will think it's weird, because their course doesn't teach about the Spanish economy.

So all you've managed to do is make your personal statement apply to neither course. You can get offers if the rest of your application is good, though, so it may not matter too much.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    The uni for pure Spanish will think it's weird, because their course doesn't teach about the Spanish economy.
    The unis for economics and Spanish will think it's weird, because their course doesn't teach about the Spanish economy.

So all you've managed to do is make your personal statement apply to neither course. You can get offers if the rest of your application is good, though, so it may not matter too much.
    I'm worried about the straight spanish one, especially as it's a very good uni for languages. But I still have high hopes. My predicted grades are well above the course requirements and I talked mostly about the theories behind the spanish economy. I don't think there's anything wrong with that as it shows my interest in and knowledge of economics. I don't think it makes a difference that I talked about the spanish economy instead of the british.
    Also, Leeds does do a module on the spanish economy (I think) and I got an offer from there, so it obviously worked.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juno)
    If you do as you suggest, you'll be talking about how you want to study French economics. And that's not what your course is.
    Thank you, that has made it clearer for me.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 22 Aug '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 23 Aug '18
  3. University of Glasgow
    All Subjects Undergraduate
    Tue, 28 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.